anyone got an anzac biscuit recipe without coconut

jimbob37, Apr 24, 6:22am
Mr Jimbob is allergic.

elliehen, Apr 24, 6:28am
Alison Holst suggests leaving it out and replacing it with more rolled oats (she likes the small cut-up kind for Anzacs).

Chef: Alison Holst, as heard on Afternoons with Jim Mora on Friday, 23 April 2010

This is my slightly modified version of these popular biscuits. They were, supposedly, carefully wrapped in airtight packages, then posted to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC).

For really crisp biscuits, cook them a little longer. For softer, slightly chewy biscuits, cook them less. To keep the crisp biscuits crisp, keep them in an airtight container. They are unlikely to last long! !

For 35 - 50 biscuits:

Ingredients
100g butter
¼ cup golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla
a few drops of almond essence, optional
1 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut or extra rolled oats
1 cup standard plain flour
½ tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 Tbsp warm water
Method
Heat oven to 170 C or 160 C Fanbake, with a rack in the centre of the oven. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use measuring cups and level measures for good results.

Heat the butter until melted, in a fairly large microwave-proof bowl, or in a fairly large pot on the stove. Add the golden syrup and essence(s) and stir until combined. Mix well.

Add everything else in the order given, stirring between additions.

For large biscuits shape level measuring spoons of mixture. For smaller biscuits roll smaller balls, then flatten them.

Allow space between biscuits for baking. (When the first tray is filled, put it in to cook while you shape the remaining biscuits on another piece of baking paper. )

Bake biscuits for 15 minutes or until evenly golden brown.

Cool on a rack until cold and firm, then store in airtight containers.

jimbob37, Apr 24, 6:52am
Brilliant, thanks!

shelley39, Apr 25, 1:12am
I just miss the coconut out. Put in a little more rolled oats.

guest, Jan 11, 9:30am
That's not just the best anwers. It's the bestest answer!

guest, Jan 13, 2:07pm
I think most of my cooking fails have been as a reslut of me not reading the recipe properly (i.e. using plain flour instead of self raising, adding too much salt etc)

guest, Jan 14, 10:07am
The recipe is caleld "Granny Boyd's Biscuits"... it's from Nigella Lawson's book "how to be a domestic goddess" but I guess you may be able to find it online somewhere?They're a great "emergency" biscuit recipe as you just need store cupboard things + butter. I overcooked them a bit as I've not baked in this oven before but they were still very tasty :)