Chocolate Brownies - HELP - Gluten Free.

weddingflowers, Dec 23, 2:50am
Why do the gluten free Brownies I make (all different recipes) end up the height of a normal chocolate cake!(They grow in the tin while cooking - but taste ok) but dont look like a normal flat brownie!I use a gluten free baking mix.
What am I doing wrong.
Christmas blessings to you all.
Cheers
Glenys

kirstenp, Dec 23, 3:11am
Never made them before I had to make them gluten free. My daughter makes them and uses the Alison Host gluten free recipe. Hers are usually about 2cm high and people say they are the best brownies they've had. Let me know of you would like the recipe as it doesn't use a baking mix, but different gluten free flours.

weddingflowers, Dec 23, 3:29am
Yes I would love the recipe thanks - these will taste ok, but half the mix went up and over the baking tin and now sits on the bottom of the oven!Great oven cleaning at Christmas! The remaining mix has sunk down in the tin,so still will be ok.But I want to be able to perfect the receipe.Cheers and thanks, Glenys

whistlingwings, Dec 26, 8:57am
Just an idea - to stop the mixture spilling over the tin onto the oven bottom trayperhaps you could just eat half the mixture before you put it into the tin - problem solved.

geldof, Dec 26, 9:07am
I made this one of Annabel Langbeins and just used 1 cup of Macro GF flour.
Worked really well.

Annabel Langbein's ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE

Makes about 30 pieces.

2 cups chopped dates
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup boiling water
200g finely diced butter, at room temperature
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup dark cocoa, sifted
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
250g chocolate chipsordark chocolate, cut into small chunks

Preheat oven to 160°C and line a 30cm x 24cm slice tin with baking paper.
Put dates in a large bowl, add baking soda and boiling water and stir to combine.Add finely diced butter and stir until melted.Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
Mash softened dates with a fork to break them up to a creamy consistency.Stir in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.Stir in the sugar, then add the cocoa, flour and baking powder and stir until smooth.Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks.
Smooth into prepared tin and bake until it is set in the middle and begins to come away from the sides of the tin (about 50 minutes).
Cool before cutting into squares.
Stored in a sealed container it will keep for a couple of weeks.:

geldof, Dec 26, 9:08am
While googling the recipe I saw this post that has been made somewhere on TM recipes

Made the brownies yesterday, but being a coeliac I decided to experiment and changed the flour to the equivalent amount of ground almonds, and increased the baking powder (GF) by 1/2 tsp. Not sure what the original recipe is like but this was delicious. I have made rhubarb couli to serve and yoghurt

Chef_shona_mardle, Nov 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

weddingflowers, Dec 27, 2:46am
Thanks, I will try that recipe next time I do them.I'm also coeliac - hence the reason for doing them with gluten free flour.Don't you just hate being coeliac!!cheers, Glenys

weddingflowers, Dec 27, 2:48am
Thanks for that offer - do you really want me to be as big as a house next time you see me !I dont need any help with that sister dear!or is that what you do!love you heaps.

roshu, Dec 27, 3:06am
Do you belong to Coeliac NZ.! They have lots of people ready to help out with cooking hints and tips.

weddingflowers, Dec 27, 6:50pm
Yes I am a member of the Coeliac NZ - we often have a get together here at my house at Manukau, any coeliac is welcome to come along to our group (South Auckland - Robyn is our contact) we often talk about recipe disasters, all in good fun. Thanks for your message.cheers