1. 5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups ofboiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.

just_lookin1, Oct 29, 2:06am
That does sound easy. I like the ones where you just bung it all in one bowl

td-cw, Oct 29, 2:25am
do you line the oven dish or just grease it?

noreason, Oct 29, 3:09am
how big is the roasting dish. Can you give measurements please as I'd love to try this. Thanks

td-cw, Oct 29, 3:35am
i just made it in a 25X60cm dish :)

hooksie60, Oct 29, 4:28am
the roasting pan i use is 33x23cms if that helps. I line mine with what they call a bbq liner which make fat free cooking on a bbq you can buy baking ones as well mitre 10 sell them. this is very easy and if you you could freeze half if you so wished.

hooksie60, Oct 29, 4:33am
td-cw how did yours turn out?

td-cw, Nov 3, 7:21pm
it was lovely! ! sorry about the late reply i just had to find thread again as am making it for a bday cake this weekend!

idgit1969, Nov 7, 9:05pm
What a terrific recipe! I made this and it was an instant hit with my family and yummy! Thank you for sharing!

angel361, Nov 7, 10:08pm
do you guys ice this cake? ? ? ?

hooksie60, Nov 19, 1:43am
yes I do with a soft chocolate icing

idgit1969, Nov 19, 6:25am
I have made this cake twice now and both times it has been a hit. Hubby has requested it to be made for his 40th birthday! I put a nice chocolate icing on it and of course for the kids, I sprinkle a few hundreds and thousands over it! ! ! Yum!

pvilz, Nov 22, 7:59am
yuum, I gotta try this one!

suie1, Nov 22, 10:39pm
Seems like a heap of sugar, a cake with the same amount of flour as sugar? Could I use less & have it still turn out?

scholar54, Nov 23, 6:25am
Suie, I've just put mine into the oven. I thought the same about all of the sugar, so I used one cup less. I will come back in here later, to let you know how it turns out.

scholar54, Nov 23, 7:03am
I've just checked my cake, it's nearly cooked. I'm so glad that I didn't use the full amount of sugar that the recipe said to. If there was any more sugar in the cake, it would be too sweet. It's just right.

hooksie60, Nov 23, 7:18am
thats great to know scholar54 I will try less sugar next time i make it. and its definity a hit in our house and neighbour hood.

doug57, Nov 23, 7:42am
I have a 'similar' recipe. . which gets made each week here. . dead easy!

4 T oil, 1. 5C sugar, 2 eggs. 1/2 C cocoa, 2C sr flour, 1 tspn Bicarb soda, 1 tspn vanilla ess, 1C boiling water. Bung in a bowl and beat well.
Place in greased cake pan and bake 40-45 mins [180/350] This is moist and rich. Ice with choccy icing!

scholar54, Nov 23, 7:48am
You're welcome Hooksie. I forgot to mention that I use "Gluten Free" flour. Everything comes out of the oven so moist, cakes just melt in your mouth. No need for icing, the cakes are so rich. I have only been using gluten free flour since this September.

hooksie60, Nov 23, 7:48am
thanks doug57 I will give this a try sound nice

tinkertiger, Nov 23, 7:53am
I have just found this place and your cake sounds great and I will be looking for some cheescake recipes

hooksie60, Nov 23, 8:03am
Hi Lorraine well I haven't tried doug one yet ( but will do) and guessing due to the amounts ends up a smaller cake. but can definitly reccomend the first makes a good sized cake. Roasting pan size and 10 cm high so if you are not big eaters i suggest you can cook in 2 lots or cut in half and freeze

pheebs1, Nov 25, 6:14am
oh my goodness that really is the best chocolate cake i have ever made! ! ! ! and i am not usually very good at making cakes but it was sooo moist and not so rich that i felt sick. it makes a hell of a lot which was great i made two very large cakes out of the recipe, mmmm is it bad that 3/4 of the first cake is already gone? ?
thanks i will be making this for a long time to come

phae, Nov 28, 4:05am
Its a really nice cake thankyou hooksie, have another one I make which is similar but this one will last longer in this house because its bigger. Made some cup cakes with some of the mixture and iced them, lovely. The visiting kid up the road filched another one when I wasnt looking so guess that passed the test.

pheebs1, Nov 30, 11:19pm
bumping cos its soooooooooooooooo good