Xmas desserts and xmas pasta ideas

aussie_girl, Dec 21, 10:30pm
friend wants me to find some recipes, what would you organise, about 10 people i think!

245sam, Dec 21, 10:57pm
aussiegirl, there will be 9 of us and for dessert we're having some good old family favourites plus for those who like to keep with tradition there will be individual Christmas Puddings with Brandy Sauce, so we're having.

Christmas Puddings and Brandy Sauce
followed by
Boysenberry Marshmallow Cream - an Ambrosia type dessert
Chocolate Marble Fluff (or can be a cheesecake - see below)
a special cheesecake that is one of my elderly Mum's favourites
Fruit Salad
Accompaniments:Icecream, Cream, Greek Yoghurt

Re Chocolate Marble Fluff - I have 3 brothers who claim that they don't like cheesecake so hence the name "Fluff" however the dessert can be put into a biscuit crumb crust and served as a cheesecake - if I did that they wouldn't like it but served simply in a bowl they absolutely love it and it's usually a discussion point to see who is going to have the last of the dessert and almost 'lick the platter clean' - not literally of course!

Hope that helps.:-))

aussie_girl, Dec 21, 11:01pm
thanks, just get annoyed, she wants us to be on her beckon call, 24/7 like we don't have enough to do

245sam, Dec 21, 11:20pm
You're most welcome aussie_girl, IMO your 'friend' is leaving her planning a bit late but good on you for hopping to and helping her out.
I can't help you re any planned salads because we're having a fairly traditional dinner around mid-day then our other meal will be a help yourself-to-what-you-fancy from a selection of cold cuts, salad items (salad greens, tomatoes, beetroot) antipasto items, cheese and fruit platter plus tortillas, pita breads, crackers and homemade Two Cheese & Herb Bread.If anyone has room for more there will be any leftover desserts from dinner + Christmas cake and fruit mince tarts.All in all I expect everyone to feel very well fed by the end of what will be a special day together.:-))

kennymac, Dec 22, 12:12am
245sam can you please let us know your recipe for Chocolate Marble Fluff as I have a daughter who is the same, and has just asked me to make something chocolatey for Christmas dessert

245sam, Dec 22, 12:33am
Yes, sure kennymac - here's the recipe which I will be making up tomorrow - it's best made a day or two ahead IMO.

CHOCOLATE MARBLE FLUFF / CHEESECAKE
1 x 375ml can or packet evaporated milk, well chilled
250g cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp gelatine
½ cup water
¼ cup cocoa, sifted

Beat the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar and vanilla essence together.
In a saucepan heat the gelatine and water until the gelatine is dissolved, then add the remaining ½ cup sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup of the evaporated milk.Cool until beginning to thicken, then blend the gelatine and milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
Beat the evaporated milk until it will form stiff peaks, then fold the cream cheese mixture into the beaten evaporated milk.Halve the mixture and into one half fold the sifted cocoa.Alternately spoon the vanilla and chocolate mixture into the serving dish.Swirl and chill.

In the past I have simply 'decorated' the top with a crumbled Luxury Flake but couldn't find any recently so I have Cadbury's White Bubbly (milk chocolate coated white chocolate) to grate over the top this time.

Happy Christmas - hope your daughter enjoys this "something chocolatey for Christmas dessert".:-))

sarahb5, Dec 22, 12:37am
We are having a desserts only meal on Christmas Eve because no-one could decide what dessert to have on Christmas Day so this is what we're making:

Pavlova - I'm making this one
Individual banoffee pies - Mr 15 is making this
Self-saucing chocolate pudding - Mr 18 is cooking this one
Yule Log - hubby's speciality
Mince Pies & brandy butter - Miss 21 made these

On Christmas Day we are having tiramisu.

Our Christmas salad of choice is brown rice & cranberry although I'm actually putting pomegranate seeds in it for a bit of variety instead.It's a WW recipe but everyone loves it so who cares!

2 bunch(es) fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
1/4 cup(s) pine nuts, (35g)
1 tsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground all spice
2 cup(s) boiled brown rice
1/4 cup(s) dried cranberries, (35g)
2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
1 medium green capsicum, (250g) thinly sliced
125 g cherry tomato, grape, halved
1 tbs olive oil, extra virgin
1/4 cup(s) lemon juice, (60ml)
1 tsp honey
Instructions
Blanch asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute or until bright green and just tender. Drain and refresh in a large bowl of cold water. Drain.

Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and allspice and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Combine rice, asparagus, pine nuts and onion mixture in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries, parsley, mint, capsicum and tomatoes. Whisk remaining oil, juice and honey in a small bowl. Add dressing to rice salad and toss gently to combine. Serve.

kennymac, Dec 22, 12:37am
Thank you so much for that.It sounds delicious.I am sure she will enjoy.Have a great Christmas

babyonboardnz, Dec 28, 4:41am
Any chance we could have the Yule Log recipe! Pretty please.

sarahb5, Dec 28, 4:59am
added to the other thread