Basic but tasty stuffing for Christmas Chicken.

wishbone66, Dec 18, 9:57am
I don't have many herbs and spices, but wondered if I made a stuffing from fresh breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and added chopped apricots! Do I bind it all together with an egg!Not very up on this sort of thing unfortunately.I know there are packet mixes available but the family dont like them.

245sam, Dec 18, 10:10am
wishbone66, here's a recipe that you might like to try.

APRICOT AND GINGER STUFFING
½ cup dried apricots
boiling water
1 onion
1 tbsp grated root ginger
1½ cups soft breadcrumbs
saltandfreshly ground black pepper
1 egg

Place apricots in a bowl.Cover with boiling water and leave to rehydrate for about 1 hour.Drain and chop.Peel and finely chop the onion.Mix onion, apricots, ginger, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and egg together until well combined.
Use to stuff chicken or turkey or bake in muffin tins at180°Cfor10 minutes.
Makes about 1½ cups.

Because I make our turkey into a variation of Alison Holst's Roast Chicken Casserole I like to provide some extra stuffing for those who like more than just the stuffing mix that tops the casserole.I have used the above recipe for that reason and cooked it in muffins tins - it was a popular choice so I'm doing the same again this year.

Hope that helps you.:-))

taurushat, Dec 18, 10:11am
That would work fine.I just put Olive oil to bind instead of egg, plus onion, mixed herbs or rosemary, fresh breadcrumbs, and some flaked almonds if you have any and maybe sime chopped fresh parsley.

wishbone66, Dec 18, 10:21am
thank you 245sam and taurushat. I like the sound of rosemary and the olive oil to bind. 245sam - a great idea to cook stuffing in muffin tins as it will look nicer.