Thickened Cream ?

carter441, Dec 18, 1:44am
I intend making Smoked Salmon Creamed Scrambled Eggs.The recipe calls for "thickened cream"!Is that just "cream" as I know it!!

biggles45, Dec 18, 2:11am
No, countdown sell thickened cream, usually near the milk and ordinary cream.

carter441, Dec 18, 3:29am
Oh really!Thanks.

245sam, Dec 18, 3:33am
carter441, is your recipe a NZ one!Very often recipese.g. from the UK, require thickened cream which is not the same as the thickened cream that is available here in NZ.Our Thickened Cream is thickened with gelatine and IMO it would not be suitable for your Scrambled Eggs because once heated it would (presumably) lose its 'thickened' effect because the gelatine would melt.I suggest that our 'ordinary' cream would be all that you need to use.:-))

biggles45, Dec 18, 3:36am
Welcome. It looks like this http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dthickened%2Bcream

It is heavier (less air in it) than ordinary cream that you have whisked to thicken.

carter441, Dec 18, 3:36am
Ahhh.Very interesting!Yes, I suspect for scrambled eggs they are just meaning "thickened cream" as opposed to "whipped cream".Hence, normal cream!!

I am however most interested in peoples thoughts on this!

amiri1, Dec 18, 3:36am
Depends on the recipes origins! The thickened cream over here isn't normally the thickened cream talked about in a lot of cooking recipes.

biggles45, Dec 18, 3:45am
Just a thought, in UK you get "double cream" rather than "thickened" cream. I use thickened cream for making icecream, the cream is used with milk and egg yolks to make a custard so should be ok in scrambled eggs

amiri1, Dec 18, 3:45am
This is off a Jamie Oliver discussion site. Someone askied what thickened cream was because they could only get the thickened cream that we get over here. This was part of the reply they got:

THICKENED CREAM
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons buttermilk

1. Preparing the cream. Pour the cream into a small saucepan, set over
low heat and stir just until the chill is off; do not heat above 100°F
(lukewarm). Stir in the buttermilk and pour into a glass jar.

2. Ripening the cream. Set the lid on the jar (but don't tighten it)
and place in a warm (80-90°F) spot. Let the cream culture and set for
12 to 24 hours, until noticeably thicker (perhaps almost set like
yogurt or sour cream). Stir gently, screw on the lid and refrigerate
at least 4 hours to chill and complete the thickening.

carter441, Dec 18, 4:24am
Whoah!Who would of thought cream was so complicated!Giggles.I suspect my recipe is Australian.

tahnasha, Dec 18, 1:17pm
Cream is so simple in NZ.When I moved to Australia there are so many types of different creams.Normal cream doesn't whip in Australia, unless you want to stand their for half the day doing it.You have to look on the label here to see what it's suitable for.Cooking, whipping etc.I don't know what double cream is but we have that here too.

I use thickened cream in things like curry dishes.

davidt4, Dec 18, 9:07pm
That is a recipe for making crème fraîche.It is not what is usually meant by "thickened cream".It is, however, very nice in scrambled eggs.

wizardoo, Dec 18, 10:53pm
cool so what is clotted cream then! just wondering

245sam, Dec 18, 11:01pm
wizardoo, fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream.

"Clotted cream (sometimes called clouted cream or Devonshire cream) is a thick cream made by indirectly heating full-cream cow's milk using steam or a water bath and then leaving it in shallow pans to cool slowly. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots' or 'clouts'.It forms an essential part of a cream tea.
Although its origin is uncertain, the cream's production is commonly associated with dairy farms in South West England and in particular the counties of Cornwall and Devon. The current largest commercial producer is Rodda's in Redruth, Cornwall, which produces up to 25 tonnes (25,000 kg; 55,000 lb) of clotted cream each day. In 1998 the term Cornish clotted cream became a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) by European Union directive, as long as the milk is produced in Cornwall and the minimum fat content is 55%.":-))

duckmoon, Dec 19, 3:09am
Many recipes from the UK call for single cream or double cream.
the fat content in these two products are different.
single - around 30%
double around 45%

In NZ, "cream" (as we call it) has a fat content of 38-42%, so can be used for recipes which call for either product