Fluffy Rice

hort1, Dec 16, 1:03am
Can someone please tell me how you get fluffy rice. I have tried whisking with a fork, makes it better but I would like to get it like you get from the Indian restaurants nice and fluffy and light.

jmin, Dec 16, 1:46am
Was told this by professional chef.(we were cooking for 70 on his day off and it works).then found it on the back of a packet of Basmati rice later. Rinse rice well to remove starch. Soak rice in luke-warm water for 15-30 minutes. Bring large pot bring water to rolling boil. Add drained rice and stir gently. Cook uncovered for 6-7 minutes on medium heat. Drain and rinse well with more boiling water.

ange164, Dec 17, 7:47am
I know one tip aside from the standard instructions. If you use the absorption method, stir once at the start and then don't stir itagain while it's cooking.

daisyhill, Dec 17, 9:19pm
I melt a bit of butter in a cast iron pot and "cook" my unwashed basmati rice in that for a few minutes, not to brown it but just to start it absorbing the oil. Then add my boiling water, take off the heat, put the lid on and leave to absorb. Perfect fluffy rice every time.

fifie, Dec 17, 11:18pm
Put rice in a sieve wash well under cold running water till water runs clear to remove the starch, tip into a saucepan cover with boiling water till its 1/2-1 inch above rice, bring to a rapid boil, stir with fork once, Boil hard about 5-6 mins, then put lid on and leave when your passing occasionally fluff rice with a fork till all water is absorbed and youll have rice which is nice and fluffy.