Ok I stuffed up my jam :(

antoniab, Dec 15, 3:31am
It hasnt set - pretty sure its because I didnt add enough enough sugar (equal amounts to fruit just sounds way too sweet!) I used just under 1.5kg strawberries, couple stalks rhubarb amd 750g sugar + packet of setting mix.
Question is can I just reboil with another packet of setting mix! I really dont want to add more suagr as I tastes good now - does that mean Im screwed!

kinna54, Dec 15, 3:41am
Maybe you didn't boil long enough! Personally I would add a bit more sugar, and you can counteract the sweetness by adding the juice of 1 - 2 lemons, and reboilrapidly. keep testing as you go.or if you want to add more setting mix I would add not quite a full pkt of mix.keep testing as it boils.if you add too much setting mix you may end up with toffee.

uli, Dec 15, 4:08am
Yes you can reboil with another packet of Kings jam setting mix. It will tell you on the packet what to do if your jam hasn't set!

antoniab, Dec 15, 4:16am
Sweet thanks uli I shall do that tomorrow, couldnt find the Kings stuff at Pak n scab only Hansells which claimed to have the same recipe as Kings so assume its the same more or less - definitely boiled it for long enough, but will do more rigorous testing before putting it in the bottles :)

uli, Dec 15, 6:30am
Our Pak'n'Save has Kings . but then they are individually owned.
Good luck!

kaddiew, Dec 15, 10:10am
I don't like sweet jam either and always leave some sugar out, but never as much as half the amount. Last time mine wouldn't set in the deep pot, I tipped it into my large electric frypan with a much bigger cooking surface, and it only took about 5-10 mins boiling for itto set perfectly.

antoniab, Dec 15, 11:32pm
Tried again today with another sachet of pectin mix (other Pak N Scab AND Countdown didnt have Kings so used Hansells again) - using our thermometer to get it to the right temp (may not have had it high enough the first time) and added maybe 1/2c extra caster sugar, in jars now, looking good so far :)

uli, Dec 16, 3:24am
Ummm - a liquid always boils at 100 degrees C.
Only when you add sugar it can get higher.
Is that what you meant!

olwen, Dec 16, 5:24am
Long enough is when it reaches setting stage, ignore recipes.Strawberry jam is often runny.

antoniab, Dec 16, 5:29am
Jam is at 220 according to my thermometer, which it only reached when it was boiled hard at the highest temp my element could go. When I did it the first time I only had it at a rolling boil at 6 on my element so dont think it got hot enough! Anyway its fine now, definitely set even though it never quite did the wrinkle up thing on a plate when you push your finger through :)

davidt4, Dec 16, 5:41am
Your thermometer is measuring in Fahrenheit.200 degrees F = 104 degrees C.104 C is generally regarded as the setting point for jam.

The boiling temperature slowly increases as the proportion of sugar increases with evaporation.

uli, Dec 16, 7:50am
Which is why you used a higher setting on your stove :)
That way the water evaporated faster .
I hope it has set now .