Can anyone recommend a cheese making kit?

245sam, Dec 13, 9:57pm
k_stuart, have a look at:-

http://www.madmillie.com/

Hope that helps.:-))

jude164, Dec 13, 10:16pm
I have the mad Millies kits, I started with the soft cheese one and went onto the hard cheese kit which I should have brought in the beginning as you can do all cheeses with that kit. I have been put onto CottageCrafts.co.nz through TM recipes and was very impressed with the service I have been given. I have had a few problems with Mad Millies recipes tho.

davidt4, Dec 13, 10:32pm
The Mad Millie kit is quite good to start off with, but after a while I found that the utensils and thermometer weren't terribly good quality, and I had to replace the thermometer with a good quality digital one.It's not bad value though - mine paid for itself in about 8 weeks - and it was very convenient to have everything on hand.

I agree, the Mad Millie recipes are not great.They recommend the use of a microwave to heat the milk, which in my opinion is completely wrong.

If you already know what is required for cheese making you can buy the components separately but do make sure they are all compatible with each other and that they are dishwasher-proof.The most important thing is the thermometer.

makespacenow, Dec 13, 10:40pm
You don't need any kits. Most of the stuff is already in your kitchen. Just buy the cultures.
I will post a link later we got our thermometer out of the us about 7 years ago still as good as new.

vmax2, Dec 13, 11:03pm
I agree, you don't need kits.My feta container is a click clack container with holes bored into it for the whey to drip out of.A bread board used exclusively for cheesemaking is the follower.Buy lots of mutton cloth - from the supermarket.Use your everyday large knife to cut curds.A good thermometer is probably the only major expense.Once you get confident at cheesemaking you can buy the cultures direct from chr hansen and save some money - it's cheaper there.

jude164, Dec 13, 11:19pm
I am using cheese cloth but I think I will invest in some mutton cloth now.
I have a digital thermometer as well as the M/Millie one I think the advantage of theirs is it clips onto the side of the pot.
I use the press all the time but you can use weight for hard cheeses.
I am making some Jarlsburg cheese later today

harrislucinda, Dec 14, 1:32am
ijust useoldhoneypotswithdrilledholesandanyoldsteelin theshedIdo havemillieskitaswellmadeedamcheeseQuarkallturnoutgreat

jude164, Dec 14, 3:52am
My Feta is devine :) thank you for the recipe, much much better than the Millies recipe :), I ate half of one while I was adding it to my salads lol

jude164, Dec 14, 3:53am
What does everyone do with the whey! I know some plants love it but I am not sure which ones, my chickens really enjoy it as well.

k_stuart, Dec 14, 3:54am
Thank you all. I was wanting to buy it for my husband for Xmas so thought a kit would be easier! Unless someone can point my in the direction of a supplier that I could make my own kit up!

vmax2, Dec 14, 4:07am
I use the whey to make sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables.The whey gets used in the brine for feta and halloumi.Anything left over gets fed to the lemon tree.

davidt4, Dec 14, 4:28am
I use some of the feta whey to make brine.I make ricotta from the haloumi whey.The rest of the whey (including what is left from ricotta) is given to our citrus trees (it is acid, so you can give it too acid-loving plants like camellias and magnolias too).I have good intentions of using it to make fermented vegetables but haven't got around to this yet.Maybe over the holiday period.

k_stuart - as a present I think the kit would be ideal - it comes nicely packaged and everything is explained in the leaflet.

jude164, Dec 14, 5:04am
Yeah - I have just brought an acid loving plant and my lemon tree will be a happy tree :)
I am really enjoying making different cheeses, very relaxing as it takes my mind off bookwork and everyday hassles :)

vmax2, Dec 14, 6:28am
davidt4 - pleased to hear you're thinking of making fermented veges.They are wonderful and really add to a meal.However I have learnt from a few disasters to not use the cheese whey but rather the whey left after making riccotta cheese.I have a jar of fermented carrot sticks in my fridge which really doesn't look appetising as I used the wrong whey.The whey is a bit slimy and mouldy, however it still does work and the carrots are beautiful and crisp and fermented.Just doesn't look as good.

arabelle, Dec 14, 6:45am
Is there a FB cheese makers page [NZ] I am a beginner, and did start with the millies kit. making my moulds from plastic cups and half an hour if the B&D drill punching holes which works well for my chevre. I use the muslinand sewed the borders with bias, so getting many uses from it. for the cottage cheese aspect. Have appreciated responses from here but would like a flow of interaction if possible.

davidt4, Dec 14, 9:39am
Curd Nerd is a useful NZ cheese making site, but I don't think it has a forum

http://curd-nerd.com/

vmax2, Dec 14, 10:42pm
Perhaps you could set up a thread here on TM and ask some questions.

arabelle, Dec 15, 4:30am
Thx for that Davidt4

makespacenow, Dec 15, 7:39am

harrislucinda, Dec 15, 7:48am
thatinterestingto know theleft overwheycanbeputonlemontreesJustmadecheesetodaybutdippeditdown thedrainbugger

harrislucinda, Dec 15, 7:48am
thatsinterestingto know theleft overwheycanbeputonlemontreesJustmadecheesetodaybuttippeditdown thedrainbugger

jude164, Dec 15, 7:57am
I am just pressing a Jarslburge cheese (similar to Swiss in the fact that it has holes) and made myself trot out to the lemon tree and feed it lol, if you have chickens they LOVE the whey.

jude164, Dec 16, 8:12am
I am not impressed with Millies recipes, twice now I have done the Camembert to find them yuk after 3 weeks and in very ideal conditions, I have just done the one from Cottage Crafts and the recipe is totally different.