How do YOU cook asparagus?

Page 1 / 2
zharacadz, Dec 11, 5:46am
Besides steaming.and any extra flavours I could add!

teddy147, Dec 11, 5:52am
i put mine parcels of tin foil with a drizzle of olive oil, 2-3 slices of lemon and bake for 10mins.

davidt4, Dec 11, 5:52am
I just cut off the tough ends and blanch it in boiling salted water for a few minutes, drain on kitchen paper.Dress with butter or extra virgin olive oil.Good additions are fresh tarragon, mint, sweet basil or parsley, shaved parmigiano reggiano, good quality smoked cheddar (Whitestone or Kapiti).

You can also roast asparagus or cook it on a ridged grill pan.

kay141, Dec 11, 6:15am
I roast mine. A drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper is all that's required. I often add bacon, either as small dice or chunks. Delicious together.

nauru, Dec 11, 6:15am
davidt4 wrote:
I just cut off the tough ends and blanch it in boiling salted water for a few minutes, drain on kitchen paper.Dress with butter or extra virgin olive oil.

This is the best way to have Asparagus IMO

mlg26, Dec 11, 6:24am
You can also stir fry it for a change.

fenian1, Dec 11, 6:26am
Pan fry with butter then add juice of lemon to serve

n00dle, Dec 11, 6:33am
I like stir frying - chopped into bite size pieces, with a bit of herbed salt and oil. Tastes good!

maximus44, Dec 11, 6:57am
I just boil it in salted water. I prefer it cold with some salad dressing.

liamjosh, Dec 11, 7:33am
In the microwave with a bit of water for 2 mins max then lemon and knob of butter.On the barbecue with garlic oil. In the oven with bacon and olive oil

kuaka, Dec 11, 8:11am
You should "snap" off the tough ends, rather than cutting them off.Apparently they always break where the tough and tender joins.I use the "tough" bits that I've broken off to dice finely and add to stirfries, but I just rinse the good bits in fresh water, microwave for a couple of minutes and serve with butter and pepper.

nzhel, Dec 12, 10:35am
Very plain but delicious - snap off the ends, boil in lightly salted water for a few minutes. Drain and serve with butter melted and finely ground black pepper.

kuaka, Dec 12, 11:05am
and don't do what my mil did the first time she cooked them.She chopped off the nice flowery heads, threw them away and just cooked the bare stalks - she thought they'd gone to seed!

outatude, Dec 12, 12:15pm
BEST WAY COOK IT WITH WHITE VINEGAR COVER IT, SEASON IN LEMON PEPPER & ONIONS SLICE BOIL FOR 8 MINS. 60% HEAT THEN PUT 50 MEGS OF BUTTER AT THE END TO LUMP IT UP. tASTE LIKE INSTANT PUDDING.

davidt4, Dec 12, 9:37pm
School holidays have started.

holly-rocks, Dec 12, 9:55pm
I have an old Chinese friend and he cooks his long ( about 20 mins) with oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, fish suace and sesame oil. They are delicious :)

olwen, Dec 13, 12:34am
reminds me of what my partner did with artichokes. (he cut out the base where the heart is)

creole21, Dec 13, 12:43am
sprinkling lemon pepper on it is nice or make a cheese sauce

daleaway, Dec 13, 2:48am
Cook normally, then serve with reduced sweetened balsamic vinegar.

motgirl, Dec 14, 7:54am
Raw, broken up in a salad- honestly it is great!

lyl_guy, Dec 15, 3:35am
I roast mine in Garlic oil. yum!

chevcamaro, Dec 17, 1:27am
raw, in garlic and butter, stir fryed, steamed, and boiled if you have too, just eat it
santa did it

bev00, Dec 25, 12:52pm
depends on what you're serving it with and what you like! Easiest is to very quickly blanch the stems in boiling water 2-3 minutes or less depending on size. Serve on a warmed plate with fresh hollandaise sauce or simply season with salt, pepper, lemon juice & knobs of butter - yum! If you're having the spears alongside a BBQ then you can also grill them on the hotplate for a few minutes and again serve with accompaniments & sauces of your choice - garlic aoli to dip the pears in is nice. Another option is to quickly blanch them as mentioned above - leave to cool and serve wrapped in thin slices of Ham (serve with still warm new potatoes and loads of butter - divine!

Quoteant_sonja (400 )10:22 am, Fri 24 Dec #2
if you youtube 'simon gault' he does it with lots of sugar and salt and lashings of butter, I bring the water to the boil in a large frypan only cook 2 mins, turn the timer on, I have found 3 is too soft, then if you wrap in a cold damp teatowel it keeps it warm for quite some time. Yes it works! otherwise serve as soon as its cooked with hollandaise sauce or grated parmesan cheese over

Quoteseniorbones (622 )2:36 pm, Fri 24 Dec #6
Hi, i have an Asian friend who makes the best asparagus! He looks them in a a wok with a bit of oil, fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger and fish sauce, he cooks them for ages ( like 15 mins ) then adds a drop of sesame oil at the end ( can add sesame seeds here too ). Sooooo goood and a change to the way i normally look it which is stir fried fast or steamed / boiled quickly with s&p, butter and lemon juice (:

Quoteholly-rocks (0)3:16 pm, Fri 24 Dec #7
If you want to BBQ them, then I put a 2 toothpicks through 4 or 5 (one at the bottom, one below the spear) and put them on the hotplate

Quoteduckmoon (294 )4:12 pm, Fri 24 Dec #8
I cook in very little water - then dump them boiling hot into a salad dressing made from vinegar, salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic and some chopped spring onion if I have it - they take that up and taste lovely when cool.

Quoteuli (607 )7:35 pm, Sun 25 Dec #11
I drizzle mine with garlic oil, and roast for a few minutes. Yummm!

Quotelyl_guy (305 )8:57 pm, Sun 25 Dec #12

jarjarbinks01, Dec 26, 11:41pm
I put them into a dish--sprinkle with some salt--cover with boiling water--leave for 5 minutes--remove from water and drain--serve with hollandaise sauce.

vonkrum, Dec 26, 11:48pm
steamed