Cake stacking!

bexta021, Dec 11, 1:18am
Im making my daughters wedding cake and have been looking online at the way they 'stack' cakes.Im making two mud cakes and according to the videos online you put dowling into the bottom tier.They say to cut them off at the height of the bottom tier.I cant understand the point of this How are they going to stop the top tier from moving orare they there to stop the topfrom sinking into the bottom!! Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

cookiebarrel, Dec 11, 2:21am
Yep, there to stop the top cake sinking.Once set up there should be no movement in the cakes.Always transport or move any distance, even a couple of feet if you are new to this, separatly.Also do not use dowling as from hardware stores ect.I go to my local butcher and buy wooden scewers from them or you can get them from cake decorating shops.There are many newer ideas as to what to use, but I have stayed with the trided and true for me.Would like to 'branch out' and try these others next year though.
Know you will get a lot of helpful hints/tips from others on here.Good luck with your cake.

sclaredy_cat, Dec 11, 2:33am
Yeah you really do need to stack carefully with a mudcake, even with only a two tier as there is quite a bit of 'give' in them. I tend to use drinking straws cut to height to support the weight the same way others might use dowelling, with boards in between. Then I will sometimes hammerabig dowel down through the whole thing if I'm doing anything with 3 or more tiers. (i buy my dowelling from Mitre 10 - it's cheap and I'm not even sure if cake shops or butchers even sell it bigger than toffee apple size)

bexta021, Dec 11, 3:01am
Thanks so much for the tips.Have just been to spotlight and got the doweling and a board for the top tier.Im starting to get my head round it now and realise that the dowling is to stop the top from sinking.I was going to do a ganache icing but have now decided to do a fondant icing so that I don't have to worry about the icing melting(I'll have enuf to worry about!Hehe) Any other tips will be appreciated.

sclaredy_cat, Dec 11, 3:13am
Fondant may save you some grief but you can do a stucco type effect with ganache which looks like it's not supposed to be perfect - here is one I did to give you an idea. (hope this works!)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php!fbid=428049840578265&set=a.426963607353555.91492.426839600699289&type=3&src=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F222460_428049840578265_1732549024_n.jpg&size=720%2C960

Keep it cool and it should be fine. Another tip would be to make any decorations way in advance - then you can just throw it all together at the last minute - as Mother of the Bride you need to be swanning around with a wine in your hand, not stressing about the cake at the last minute ;)

bexta021, Dec 11, 5:20am
your cakes are beautiful sclaredy_cat.I would love to be able to do that.You're right i don't want to be fussing about the cake at the last minute so will stick to just the basics and perhaps get flowers for the top perhaps.Haven't thought that far ahead yet.Thanks very much.

moore., Dec 12, 9:52am
You sound like you are an adventurous cook bexta021, good on you for making your daughters wedding cakes!have you ever thought of doing cake decorating course!you can buy the candied flowers.

nfh1, Dec 12, 9:56am
They are amazing, so clever.