HELP! i need impressive dinner ideas?

dreamitliveit, Dec 10, 8:44pm
I need to impress the flatmates with something yummy!! i have 2 flatties one whos very fussy (that i'm too scared to cook for) and the other one is just pleased with someone else cooking him dinner. needs to be fairly healthy but yummy!
being the only lady in the house i am getting shit from the boys for not having cooked them both dinner yet. any ideas appreciated. i can cook ;)

jordy71, Dec 10, 10:02pm
Salads are a great meal base and also healthy, what about a homemade coleslaw with your own homemade aioli it's easy to make you just need a blender if not then shop one is fine be creative with your salads add some nice herbs etc to add flavour like parley, lemon juice is great to add flavour to loads of things, even justa plain lettuce salad with cucumbers, tomato, parsley, spring onions and whatever else takes your fancy.
Fish is healthy and can be wrapped in foil with a bit of olive oil and baked in the oven, a healthy alternative to frying,
You could add some nice baked turkish bread instead of potatoes much healthier and a refreshing reasonable healthy meal.
We always use olive oil, fresh herbs, garlic and eat a lot of salads the result is good tasting food it doesn't matter if it's plain old sausages they still taste great with everything else. Happy cooking.

davidt4, Dec 10, 11:32pm
Do you have a really big serving plate!You could make a lovely composed salad, a meal on one plate.Let me know if you would like some ideas for this.

dreamitliveit, Dec 11, 8:42pm
yes please :)

davidt4, Dec 11, 9:08pm
Here's an example, a beef salad with olive and caper dressing.To serve 4.Use the best quality ingredients you can find.

600 - 800 eye fillet/sirloin/rump cut thick
1 med. lettuce or big bunch of rocket, washed and dried
1 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
4 - 6 tomatoes,cut into wedges
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
500g small potatoes, boiled, cooled and halved
100g black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
2 tab capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 c parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (Village Press is top quality)
1/4 c lemon juice or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Cook the beef to rare or medium rare, set aside to cool.Prepare all of the vegetables.Make the dressing by combining the olives, capers, parsley, oil, lemon juice and seasoning.

Slice the beef thinly.Arrange the lettuce/rocket on a big serving plate, arrange the beef, onion,tomatoes, avocados & potatoes on top, trickle the dressing over.Try to make the salad look casual but not untidy.It looks attractive if you group some of the components in two or three small piles rather than spreading them all out evenly.

If the budget doesn't run to good quality beef, try substituting roast chicken meat, or canned tuna and hard boiled eggs.

village.green, Dec 11, 10:45pm
I would go with david's recipe - sounds amazing and very straightforward to do.
Good luck!

dreamitliveit, Dec 11, 10:54pm
thanks David i'm sure this will wow them, ill probably have to cook more often now ;)

davidt4, Dec 11, 11:26pm
Good luck!Let us know how you get on.

medicina, Dec 12, 2:50am
Just do a roast chicken with roast veges and some peas.Easy peasey and impressive on the table.Don't forget the gravey.

gaspodetwd, Dec 12, 6:09am
Stuffed chicken breast.
So easy my eight year old makes it - but it looks fabulous.

Fry some mushrooms in garlic butter and drain.Stuff chicken breast and wrap in streaky bacon. Cook until done - 30- 40 mins depending on size.
Carve them - so everyone can see the layers. Eat with French bread and a big salad.

gaspodetwd, Dec 12, 6:09am
Stuffed chicken breast.
So easy my eight year old makes it - but it looks fabulous.

Fry some Chopped mushrooms in garlic butter and drain.Stuff chicken breast and wrap in streaky bacon. Cook until done - 30- 40 mins depending on size.
Carve them - so everyone can see the layers. Eat with French bread and a big salad.

nfh1, Dec 12, 6:30am
Sounds lovely gaspodetwd - I think that will be on the menu on Friday when we have friends round.

dreamitliveit, Dec 12, 10:00pm
David! that was great thanks heaps went and got everything yesterday and made it last night, first flattie got home and sore the olives and warned me that our other flatmate HATES them so we ended up picking out sliced olives with chopsticks hahah was a good laugh, presented it beautifully and it went down a treat! cheers!

davidt4, Dec 12, 10:47pm
That's great news.Thanks for the feedback.Now you can build on that success and try different combinations of ingredients.One of our favourite composed salads has fried haloumi as the protein, and orange zest and juice in the dressing, and these are particularly delicious with asparagus.

dreamitliveit, Dec 12, 11:01pm
that sounds really nice, time to experiment me thinks! (the great thing about salads)

dreamitliveit, Dec 13, 1:52am
keep ideas rolling anyone, anyone know of a nice marinade or glaze ect for BBQ chicken drumsticks! salad and BBQ chicken for my flatties tonight, what about everybody else! whats on the menu!