Fresh Tomatoe Sauce

corrine9, Dec 10, 1:12am
Has anyone got an old receipe for fresh tomatoe sauceor a receipe for preserving spaghetti, I have a plastic house full of them. Thanks

lythande1, Dec 10, 3:51am
I'd just puree them, then freeze or bottle. That way you can make various things later - soup, sauce and so on.

punkinthefirst, Dec 10, 3:54am
This is how I do it - much more versatile.

245sam, Dec 10, 3:59am
corrine9, I don't have a fresh tomato sauce recipe to offer that would make good use of your tomato abundance however I do have a fresh tomato soup recipe that can be served as hot or cold soup, creamy tomato soup or as juice.Without any added creaminess the soup freezes beautifully - it's very easy to make and would make good use of your tomatoes.Here's that recipe.

Alison Holst's FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1•5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme.

Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones.Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the .tomatoes.Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil, and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them.Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have.Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy.Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power.Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice).Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in.Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasonings if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice.Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving.Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup.Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.

Hope that helps.:-))