JAM SETTING MIX

fee1965, Dec 9, 5:03am
I made some strawberry jam last night, using chelsea jam setting sugar.Anyone else made this!I found it extremely sweet and not very fruity. 1kg fruit to 1kg sugar and a knob of butter.would love any other recipes using plain old sugar.

jessie981, Dec 9, 5:24am
Go into the left hand message board & under keyword put jam (or what you recipe you want) under date posted put last year.

jessie981, Dec 9, 5:24am
Go into the left hand message board & under keyword put jam (or what you recipe you want) under date posted put last year.

Learn something new everyday, never heard of the sugar.

uli, Dec 9, 5:29am
Just strawberry and sugar is pretty boring - basically just sweet .
I always do strawberries and rhubarb - then add sugar :)

indy95, Dec 9, 5:32am
Fee, I have never used "jam setting sugar " so can't comment on the recipe but I would never use anything like a kilo of sugar to a kilo of fruit in any jam recipe. I have been cutting down on the quantity of sugar I use in preserves for several years and now I just add it according to taste.

mwood, Dec 9, 9:17am
I put 1 kg of chopped orange through the large grater on the food processor and made perfect Marmalade in 4 or 5 minutes with 1 kg of Chelsea Jam Setting sugar - it just cannot get any easier than this. Xmas gifts done !

uli, Dec 10, 3:52am
Yeah right mwood - I do the same -BUT the question was about "strawberry jam" - which is simply just sweet and not tasting like much at all if you do not add rhubarb or ginger or anything that tastes strong!

makespacenow, Dec 10, 3:56am
Make it just strawberry.
Or strawberry and vanilla (using real vanilla bean).
Instead of sugar use pectin stock or pectin powder.
I posted recipe for the stock so just use the search box.
Sometimes when I feel naughty i use only a bit of sugar - never more than 200g to 1 kg of fruit.
Using the pectin will mean you cook a batch of jam in just few minutes so the fruit is not overlooked and retains its "fruityness'.
I would never eat the 50:50 stuff.

mwood, Dec 10, 4:28am
wrong again as usualMr Uli LOL - it's not about you !

"Post a reply in "JAM SETTING MIX"

uli, Dec 10, 4:36am
It has the unusual advantage of keeping without refrigeration - which why it was invented in the 1800 hundreds LOL :)

makespacenow, Dec 10, 5:03pm
Wrong.
Sugar was added originaly to just few things due to its cost. It was a status symbol nothing else. In fact there are older recipes using pectin stock that pre date the sugar era. Just like they used honey in home brewing there was a pre sugar era in which making jams was common too - but go ahead and attack posters you seem to thrive on that.
In pre sugar era pectin stock and in southern Europe citric acid were used.

greerg, Dec 10, 8:36pm
Strawberry jam in particular needs a lower sugar to jam ratio since it is always sweeter. If you don't want strawberry and something else jam you could to adding the juice of a. lemon to make the jam a bit more tart. My family likes strawberry jam and I have always done this.