Choc Truffles - replacing 1/4C brandy with ?

mctavi, Dec 9, 1:57am
Hi - am making a biscuit-crumb based choc truffles, but have just realised my recipe says 1/4C brandy. what can I replace the brandy with please! Something non-alcoholic (pregnant) :-) TIA!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 9, 1:59am
Maybe orange juice!

mctavi, Dec 9, 2:02am
I did think of orange juice, but not sure it would give desired taste :-) I was thinking perhaps raspberry jam! At least it's sticky and would set!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 9, 2:09am
It probably needs to be as liquid as brandy in order to bind the other ingredients. What kind of taste are you after!

asue, Dec 9, 2:10am
Apple juice

245sam, Dec 9, 2:29am
mctavi, IMO most jams would make your truffles too sweet.

I understand your reason for no-alcohol however over the number of truffles that your recipe will make and the fact that the alcohol is likely to evaporate + it depends how many you actually consume yourself, do you really think that it would do any harm to use the required ¼ cup brandy!:-))

mctavi, Dec 9, 2:36am
Crisis averted!1 Have just had a look, and first of all, it's definitely NOT 1/4C! More like a couple TBSP! Second of all, there's a raw egg in there, so it's out for me anyway! So back to the original (yet MUCH more sober!) recipe :-) Thanks for your help!

245sam, Dec 9, 2:50am
You're welcome and you've made a wise decision.:-))

nauru, Dec 9, 4:15am
Use apple juice and a little rum or brandy essence for flavour.Miss out the egg, I make a truffle without egg in it.

245sam, Dec 9, 4:21am
mctavi, using nauru's advice/suggestions, here's a well tried and tested recipe that you might like to try.

WHISKY TRUFFLES
1 cup (100g) plain sweet biscuit crumbs
½ cup each oficing sugarandcoconut
4 tsp cocoa
¼ cup each ofsultanas, choppedandIrish Cream liqueure.g. Baileys
4 tsp each ofhoneyandwater
approximately⅓ cup each of chocolate sprinkles (hail)andcoconut

Combine the biscuit crumbs, icing sugar, coconut, cocoa and chopped sultanas.Add the liqueur, honey and water.Stir in, to mix well.
Roll 2 level teaspoons of the mixture into a ball.Repeat with the remaining mixture to form about35 balls; divide these into two batches and roll one batch in chocolate sprinkles (hail) and the other in extra coconutRefrigerate the truffles for several hours, or until firm.Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.Suitable to freeze.

Hope that helps.:-))

sarahb5, Dec 9, 4:32am
There is a recipe for no cook chocolate truffle cake in the Dish magazine my daughter brought home from work (was in the staff room) and it is basically chocolate ganache with alcohol added.I'm going to use kahlua instead of the brandy they used but you could use orange juice instead although you can buy flavouring essences at the supermarket if you want the flavour but not the alcohol.

mctavi, Dec 9, 7:33am
Thanks for suggestions guys - very helpful :-)