Seafood entrees for Xmas

tigra, Dec 8, 11:13pm
Anybody got anything a bit different yet still possible for somebody who has to buy their fish from the local fishshop.

r-mvz, Dec 8, 11:23pm
A wee platter of marinated mussels, baby octopus, some shaved smoke salmon, maybe smoked fish and eel. Some shrimps or prawns perhaps, bit of lettuce and thousand island sauce. wedge of lemon.

tigra, Dec 8, 11:28pm
Thanks but thats a bit ordinary - trying to be more creative. One suggestion I have is to do Chili flavoured squid rings.

davidt4, Dec 8, 11:41pm
What is the quality like at your local fish shop!Unless you can get really fresh fish you should probably think again and do something else.

If you can get top quality salmon or tuna, a selection of raw fish would be interesting - ceviche, tartare, sashimi and carpaccio, each with its own sauce.

r-mvz, Dec 9, 6:33pm
Fish curry

tigra, Dec 9, 6:36pm
LOL Thanks However Fish curry ( and Crab curry) are regulars in our household. But interesting idea all the same.

tigra, Dec 9, 6:38pm
I'm in Lower Hutt and we generally buy off the boat so we are pretty well guarranteed fresh.

rai5, Dec 9, 8:52pm
Purchase a platter delivered to your door from the Coromandel Smoking Company. We did last year and will do it again this year as the variiety was great and food delish. http://www.corosmoke.co.nz/

And no we do not own it, but live in Auckland and when we are in the area purchase from them.

davidt4, Dec 9, 9:14pm
Why then was your original question "Anybody got anything a bit different yet still possible for somebody who has to buy their fish from the local fishshop."

mudguts2, Dec 10, 5:51am
davidt4 wrote:

Why then was your original question "Anybody got anything a bit different yet still possible for somebody who has to buy their fish from the local fishshop."[/q

And might be just easier to google something as the suggestions on here dont seem to be good enough.

huggy5, Dec 10, 5:54am
Tequila marinated raw fish with avocado on crostini.

millseys, Dec 10, 8:07am

sarahb5, Dec 10, 8:25am
We're having a seafood platter for our Christmas Day lunch - just 3 of us at home as the boys are working and don't like seafood.Salt & pepper squid, steamed chilli mussels, smoked salmon on blini with horseradish cream, fresh salmon poached with lime and possibly white wine, taramasalata, possibly tuna or salmon pate, maybe even some whitebait.Served with fresh crusty bread and salad leaves from the garden.I don't want to be working hard on the seafood when I will still have the turkey to cook so we'll eat in the garden (hopefully) and the only washing up will be the platter.

ETA:also prawn and bacon kebabs

sarahb5, Dec 10, 8:27am
That looks like really good value - our local supplier hasn't been able to source any cray fish locally which is disappointing but just means we'll get to try something else instead

sarahb5, Dec 10, 8:38pm
And I'm going to try some marinated fish as well to remind us of our Vanuatu holiday earlier this year which seems a very long time ago now

wizardoo, Dec 10, 9:04pm
seared scollops and prawns with bacon, garlic, served in 1/2 a roasted capsicum, Well that's what I am doing.

jordy71, Dec 10, 9:52pm
I'm doing some pan fried calamari with garlic, spring onions and parsley, Can give recipe if needed very nice with tartar sauce or aioli.
Also will be doing prawns in my special marinade of sweet chilly sauce, soy and garlic.

anita481, Dec 11, 1:39am
some marinated mussels drain and chop, shrimps, thousand island dressing, lemon juice salt pepper annd a few capers. halve some avocados scoop and mash flesh mix with above to taste and put back in avo shell. serve with a bit of fresh chopped dill on top. YUM

gilligee, Dec 11, 3:48am
Sounds delicious.

firemansgirl, Dec 11, 4:17am
Ooooooh recipe please, if you would :-)

huggy5, Dec 11, 6:57am
I don't know the quantities, but it's just tequila and lime (and/or lemon) juice and a handful of mint leaves in a saucepan, simmer for a bit then let cool completely.Marinade the fish (I like thin slices rather than cubes) for an hour or so.
Then thin slices of avo and crostini to serve, herbs if you want.
Not much of a recipe sorry!But it's a favourite in my family for those who don't like the richness of a pacific island marinade.