Lemon Meringue Pie

k_ross, Dec 6, 5:40am
Hi, just looking at a recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie and it has breadcrumbs and bay leaves in the filling - is this normal!

thedevil1, Dec 6, 5:48am
what! thats a new one

harrislucinda, Dec 6, 6:12am
newsto measwellThatsoundssavorythan sweet

sue1955, Dec 6, 7:48am
Good grief that's different. Are you sure that you haven't accidentally turned over 2 pages in your recipe book!

cmjbp, Dec 6, 7:57am
According to a Google search it is a very traditional way to make it. I have never heard of it before, though.
http://www.ecook.co.nz/recipe/Manchester-Tart-lemon-Meringue-Pie/!r=1573

k_ross, Dec 6, 9:19am
Glad I'm not the only one to have never come across it before! Is in Alyson Gofton's Bake recipe book. Initially thought it might be the wrong list of ingredients, but then the breadcrumbs are mentioned in the method as well. Is all on one page. Thanks for the link cmjbp - have only made this once before (using my mother's recipe) and was a little bemused. Decided to ring Mum and get her recipe rather than attempting this one, just in case!

wheelz, Dec 6, 10:35am
Hmmm, trying to imagine the bay leaf flavour with lemon. Someone has to try it and let us know ! And of its texture with the breadcrumbs too.

olwen, Dec 6, 7:25pm
I make a gooseberry meringue recipe with breadcrumbs and remember a friend saying that she had had lemon meringue pie in the Waikato with breadcrumbs.Breadcrumbs would thicken the lemon part.