Luncheon Fruit Cake recipe (like Ernest Adams)

julie19, Dec 5, 10:08pm
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for something quite similar! i.e very light delicious fruitcake. my dad has asked for one like Ernest Adams make for his birthday.I have googled but thought someone might have a great one!thanks :)

davidt4, Dec 5, 10:12pm
I don't know if this is like the Ernest Adams one, but this makes a light fruit cake.

Sultana & Buttermilk Cake 

250 grams softened butter

250 grams caster sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp finely grated lemon zest

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

375 grams flour

1 and a half tsp baking powder

320 grams sultanas

175 mls buttermilk

Heat oven to 160C . Lightly grease a 21cm - deep cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper. 

Cream the butter and caster sugar. Gradually add the eggs then beat in the zest and vanilla. 

Fold the flour and sultanas into the mixture. Fold in the buttermilk. 

Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 and a half hours. Cool in tin for 20 minutes before turning out on a plate.

elliehen, Dec 5, 10:12pm
x1
I would buy him the Ernest Adams one ;)

245sam, Dec 5, 10:15pm
julie19, here's a recipe I saved a number of years ago from here on the Recipes MB.I haven't used it yet but I do intend to, one day.

CUTTING CAKE – Very Like Ernest Adam’s Light Fruitcake - thanks to momma1
1½ tbsp cornflour
1 cup each ofcold waterandsugar
225g butter
½ tsp each ofalmond essence,lemon essence,orange essenceandvanilla essence
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
450g sultanas

Boil the cornflour and water until thick, then cool.
Cream the butter, sugar and essences, then add the eggs, one at a time.Sift the flour, baking powder and coat sultanas with a few spoonsful.Add the remaining flour and baking powder alternately with the cornflour mixture to the creamed mixture.Lastly add the sultanas and pour the mixture into a paper-lined cake tin.
Bake at170°Cfor1½ hours.

Hope that helps and Happy Birthday to your Dad.:-))

jessie981, Dec 5, 10:26pm
Yum, going to try as I love Luncheon Cake. Only buy when it's on a special.

wheelz, Dec 5, 10:26pm
Thanks for this thread. Reminded me I have this recipe, and I love Earnest Adams fruit luncheon. Just bought a new scraper mixer yesterday, so guess what I'm making today! Will report back as to whether it is really like the original cake.

julie19, Dec 5, 10:26pm
thanks so much for the replies :) I will try yours 245sam. buying it just isn't the same as homemade tho hehe

julie19, Dec 5, 10:27pm
ooh wheelz do let me know as I probably won't get it made today (I have a few days before its needed)

elliehen, Dec 5, 10:46pm
That's certainly true if you want to put some love into the cake, but as he's pinpointed exactly what he likes, it might be hard to replicate the taste he's looking for.

I made this Jo Seagar cake, which was a success (it's got a little something extra for Dad in it too!)

"Farmhouse Sultana Cake

You always need one of these in the tins over the holidays, perfect for afternoon tea.
Ingredients

500 g sultanas
1/4 cup brandy or Whisky
250 g butter
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method

Put sultanas in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then drain. Place the sultanas in a bowl and pour the brandy or Whisky over the mixture. Leave to cool. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Add sultana mixture and vanilla to egg mixture and combine. Add the sifted flour and fold into egg mixture. Pour into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin. Bake at 160°C for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean."

julie19, Dec 6, 6:45am
hmm well I did get a chance to make it, I checked it a few times to make sure it wasn't overcooked and ended up taking out 15 mins early. I also didn't have any orange essence so used 1t of vanilla instead of 1/2. overall I feel its a wee bit dry and the almond taste (although only 1/2t added) was taking over a bit.

elliehen, Dec 6, 6:55am
If you ever want to try another, give the Jo Seagar one I posted above a go.I have made several over time and hers is the best I've found.

julie19, Dec 6, 6:56am
I might try it. I have poured a bit of brandy over the cake I've made and will leave till later then try again lol

kuaka, Dec 6, 8:24am
This one is delicious and easy to make.

Boil 8 oz sultanas in water for 10 mins, then drain the liquid off, chop 61/2 oz butter and mix into the sultanas.Leave until the butter has melted.Beat 4 eggs and 10 oz sugar until thick and creamy, gradually fold in 10 oz flour then add the sultana/butter mix.

Bake at 350 deg F approx 50 minutes.

elliehen, Dec 6, 9:03am
Bumped for minfo

wheelz, Dec 6, 9:06am
Mine is finally in the oven! Oh why didn't I look what the time was before deciding to make it!! I have to be up early . And after reading the posts here, I realize I forgot to add the vanilla ! It had better taste good or it will be removed from cookbook.

harrislucinda, Dec 6, 9:35am
thecakemix frombininn is the nearesti have foundto be like Ernest
Adamcakevery finesoftmixture
tryed the1withcornflourtoo dry

wheelz, Dec 6, 9:52am
Oh great ! I hate dry cake and mines still got 1/2 hour to cook. Will look in our Bin Inn .Is it just called " fruit cake mix"!

wheelz, Dec 7, 5:15am
Eating a piece now. Not dry at all,and does remind me of the original

harrislucinda, Dec 7, 8:57am
yeswheelzbinninncalledfruitcakemixitisplainyou addthe fruiti will trythatsultanacakeagaini havesincehadthetempfixedinmyovenasthinkitwasovercookingto makeitdry

flower-child01, Dec 8, 10:11pm
Sultana cake (fruit cake)

300g sultanas, boiled 10 mins in water, and drained well
250g butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon essence
4 eggs
1 c cherries, optional
2 1/2 c plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in the vanilla then the eggs, one at a time.
Stir in the sultanas and cherries. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt then fold in. Pour into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin and bake 160°C for approximately 45 – 60 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool.