Question re fudge & coconut ice

pats3, Dec 5, 9:49am
Can I make fudge and coconut ice now for Christmas and do I just store it in an air-tight container in fridge!

Thanks

duckmoon, Dec 5, 10:05am
I wouldn't bother with the fridge.

By the way, it freezes well

pats3, Dec 6, 6:08am
So it is okay to make it now and not freeze!

nauru, Dec 6, 11:41pm
I do my coconut ice (unccoked recipe) about this time every year and it keeps fine in a container in the pantry.

elliehen, Dec 6, 11:52pm
What is your uncooked recipe, nauru!Please :)

pats3, Dec 7, 4:30am
Oh yes, please do tell the uncooked recipe.

preskoolteacha, Dec 7, 5:04am
oh nauru i use a no bake one as well, have kept it in the fridge one yr and it sweated so might put it in the pantry

pats3, Dec 7, 6:11am
I found this one by Alison Holst:

Uncooked Coconut Ice

This is easy enough for children to make, but popular with adults too. After several days, it becomes rather firm, but it seldom lasts this long!

2 cups desiccated coconut
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 of a 400g can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp raspberry essence (optional)
4-5 drops of red food colouring
Extra coconut for coating

Measure the coconut and icing sugar into a food processor or large bowl. Tip the condensed milk on top. Add the vanilla then process in bursts or mix with a flexible stirrer, then your hands.

Sprinkle some of the extra coconut on a sheet of plastic on a flat work surface. Press out half the mixture about 20cm square on the coconut. Add the raspberry essence and enough food colouring to give a pale pink colour to the mixture left in the bowl, mix in, then shape as previously.

Lay the pink layer on top of the white layer. Sprinkle a little extra coconut on top. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or longer, then cut into squares with a wet knife. Refrigerate until required, and eat after a few hours.

nauru, Dec 7, 7:44am
I use the Alison Holst recipe above,it keeps for quite a while.

elliehen, Dec 7, 7:59am
Thanks pats3 and nauru :)

preskoolteacha, Dec 7, 10:24am
yes this is the one i use but i will keep it in the pantry nest time i do it