A question bout puring brandy on christmas cake

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 4:48am
hi i don't usually put alcohol on my christmas cake but thisis what my nan wants.after the cake is cooked right what do you put the cake in/on to add the brandy in weekly!
where does any excess brandy go that hasn't gone into the small holes you poked in the cake.
how do you store it!
can you stop it going sticky!
how do yo deliver it to the intended person!

mwood, Dec 5, 5:10am
Put the cake in a suitable presentation "tin" then just pour a nip or 2 of brandy/cognac over it each week until it comes time to pass it over to luckyNan

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 5:22am
umm mwood like what you mean like a click clack container! so where does the grog go that hasn't gone into the holes in the cake!

sarahb5, Dec 5, 5:25am
It all goes into the holes.I would put a layer of tin foil in the bottom of the container but not wrap the cake in it.Then prick it and pour in the brandy.Next week turn it over, prick it again and pour in the next lot of brandy.Turning it distributes the brandy evenly throughout the cake.

mwood, Dec 5, 5:28am
into Nan - LOL

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 5:32am
lol mwood i asked for that huh rofl

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 5:34am
ok sarah sensible re turning the cake. but how would one do it so the cake wouldn't fall apart

fifie, Dec 5, 5:37am
When you drizzle the brandy on top of the cake it seeps into it. Put some on when you take it out of the oven, Leave it in the tin fold down the paper around cake on to the top while the cake is still warm and get a clean towel wrap the tin and cake in it then sit it in the pantry where its cool, Forget about it for a week unwrap and drizzle more brandy over it, wrap again and leave, repeat weekly till you ice or glaze it. I always do this for a nice moist cake it never goes sticky. To give a cake to someoneice or glaze with nuts, sit it on a sheet of clear cellophane pull it all up tie a ribbon around it.

sarahb5, Dec 5, 5:38am
Christmas cake won't or shouldn't fall apart - it's usually a fairly heavy, dense, moist cake which is why you can dothis.

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 5:47am
oh well sarah it isn't a traditional christmas cake,,it is just a golf cake all it is is fruit soaked in oj srf and cinnamon

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 5:52am
oh so fifie i should just leave the cake in the tin i cooked it in!
just to be sure i have understood you you are saying leave it in the tin, with the baking paper still round it, and warp the whole thing in a tea towel!
um before i cook it i would have thought then to put the almonds on the top! so much easier to do my mini christmas cakes and wrap them in celophane and give them away.but my nan loves christmas cake and is of the age where she is passed all the baking fru fru stuff. indoor bowls is more important :P

fifie, Dec 5, 6:11am
Yes leave it in the tin with your paper lining, you might have to fold the paper sides down a bit and you need a largish clean towel sit tin on it and wrap like a parcel, then leave it. If im putting nuts on mine i prefer to brush cake with a apricot/brandy glaze then put nuts on brush nuts all over with glaze and let dry. This gives the nuts a lovely shine,i do this about a week before xmas. Don't put glaze on while its wrapped in the towel OR it will go sticky. Ha ha don't we love the mini cakes, i'm about to do mine tomorrow, hope your Nan enjoys her cake, good for you for making her one.

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 10:20am
hi fifie :) ok i understand now, and wrap it in a bath towel not a tea towel.oh whoopsie i don't usually get into it my mini cakes are just "rustic" lol, um so can i still put a glaze over it with the nuts on! and how do i make the glaze!one question does it get soggy on the bottom on the baking paper!, when ready to give it away do i just peal off the baking paper, and wrap in celophane(i do that to my mini cakes) i thought to help with prresentation and travel put the cake on a chopping board
yes nan will shes 85 and says she has had enuf of girts, she has so much handcream and stuff she could be a pharmacy lol.

preskoolteacha, Dec 5, 10:20am
hi fifie :) ok i understand now, and wrap it in a bath towel not a tea towel.oh whoopsie i don't usually get into it my mini cakes are just "rustic" lol, um so can i still put a glaze over it with the nuts on! and how do i make the glaze!one question does it get soggy on the bottom on the baking paper!, when ready to give it away do i just peal off the baking paper, and wrap in celophane(i do that to my mini cakes) i thought to help with prresentation and travel put the cake on a chopping board
yes nan will shes 85 and says she has had enuf of gifts, she has so much handcream and stuff she could be a pharmacy lol.

fifie, Dec 5, 9:41pm
Preskool you can brush the glaze over top of the cake if you have nutson it. When your ready to do it carefully take the cake out of the tin, peel off all the lining paper ( mine has never gone soggy on the bottom), put it on a board if you want good idea for travelling, you could cover board with tin foil, make up your glaze brush over the top set aside for it to dry, sit your cake and board on large sheet of cellophane pull up and tie, viola you will have a nice looking cake for your nan .
Apricot/brandy Glaze.
1 heaped Tablespoon Apricot jam. 2 Tablespoons brandy. Place Jam and brandy in a small saucepan and heat gently together, whisking until throughly blended. Now using a brush generously paint over the whole top of the cake, It leaves a wonderful shine on the nuts and tastes great.
OR the other way is if you haven't cooked cake with nuts on the top, brush cake with glaze place nuts,dried fruit etc on cake brush glaze on top. You can do it either way. For larger cakes just double or triple the recipe if you have to for more.

preskoolteacha, Dec 6, 12:51am
hi fifie

thanks doll for all that good information :) this will help make my cake so much better *thumbsup*

just a question when wrapping the cake tin in the towel do you put something on the top like tinfoil! so the fibers of the towel don't go onto the cake

fifie, Dec 6, 1:37am
When i line my cake tin i always put papers up side higher than the tin, this is the piece to fold over on to the top which almost covers it before wrapping,ive never had any fluff come off the towel onto the cake but if you wish just cut a piece of baking paper and sit it on top after each drizzle of brandy before wrapping it won't hurt it. Hope itworks for you for a lovely cake.

preskoolteacha, Dec 6, 5:09am
thanks doll
okies im all set for the weekend fifie hope i get it all a ok.
i always worry that something will go wrong like not cooked in the middle or something, i like to do a taste test of things yanno