Easy but nice salad ideas

1966, Dec 5, 3:31am
Have A BBQ to go to on sunday and was just wanting to make a salad for 10 people. want to make something different.does anybody have a nice easy salad recipe

sossie1, Dec 5, 3:35am
I have an easy salad topping to make it more interesting.
fry pan, no oil. dry fry pumpkin and sunflower seeds until coloured. Take off the heat, and sprinkle over about 1 to 2 tablespoons of soya sauce, and stir in quickly while you add the sauce.
let cool, and you have really nice salty flavoured seeds.

Also i make either a couscous or bulghur wheat salad, and add chopped tomato, chopped black olives and crumbled feta cheese.

griffo4, Dec 5, 3:45am
l made one on Sunday for a lunch which looked very Christmassy
2 punnets cherry tomatoes, whole
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
boccocini balls, (l used some of them and crumbled feta as well)
black olives
parsley to scatter over the top
Arrange in a bowl and serve with dressing over the top

lythande1, Dec 5, 3:49am
Could do a roast vege salad.different from the usual garden salads.

madj, Dec 5, 5:27am
Made one over the weekend that is fresh, different and would go well at a bbq.

Cucumber and Pepper Salad

1 sml red onion, halved and finely sliced
1 large cucumber or 2 small lebanese cucumbers
1 small yellow pepper, halved, cored, deseeded and cut into think strips
1 small red pepper, halved, cored, deseeded and diced
2Tbs chopped flat parsley
1 large clove garlic
1 small hot red chilli, deseeded, and finely chooped (optional)
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
3/4 Tbs salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tomatoes chilled in fridge

1. soak onion in cold water for 15 minutes, drain, dry off. Peel cucumber, trim the ends, then slice into 4 lengthways. Cut away seeds then chop flesh into slim slices (if using lebanese cumcumbers no need to peel or deseed then)
2, Put onion and cucumber in a bowl with the peppers, parsley, garlic, chilli (if using), olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss well, then cover and chill for 2 hours
3. Just before serving, quarter the tomatoes, remove the cores and flick out the seeds. Chop the flesh and add to the salad. Toss well and serve immediately.

This is colourful, fresh and has a really nice aroma.

toadfish, Dec 5, 6:46am
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

PS - I often leave the capsicum and spring onion out if I want to make it at short notice and have not been to the vegie shop, as the rest of ingreidiants are pantry ones that I alwayshave plenty on hand.

jmori, Dec 5, 8:04am
An easy easy tasty one is:
RISONI salad
pesto
feta cheese
red onion
Cook risoni. Drain & cool (drizzle lemon juice over if want just a little). Mix all the other ingredients together.
sprinkle roasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds on top

bridget107, Dec 6, 1:36am

munrotti, Dec 6, 3:01am
Really easy and tasty too: cauliflower florets mixed with an apricot yoghurt.Add some pinenuts.

baalamb, Dec 6, 3:38am
Watermelon, red onion and feta salad - drizzle with balsamic vinegar just before serving.

amiri1, Dec 6, 5:16am
I like a basic salad of crispy lettuce, cucumber, tomato and cream cheese. When I wash the lettuce I don't drain all the water off it and add finely grated lemon zest and a little lemon juice. mix it around before adding the other ingredients. Depends on the lemons you use as to flavour but it's simple and nice.