How to make an old fashion cake called "MATCHES"

supanan4, Dec 4, 8:37am
I would like to make theseoblong slices, they were pastry, Rasp Jam Mock Cream, pastry lid, and then icingwhich was like a meringe or sometimes you would find choc icing.
Have you made these!

elliehen, Dec 4, 10:07am
I think they were called "Napoleon Slices".Maybe a Google would help!

marcs, Dec 4, 10:37am
I found this one. Not sure if it is the same. Google would be you best bet maybe.

Napoleon Cake
INGREDIENTS
5-3/4 lb. self-rising flour
1-3/4 lb. butter, room temperature
14 oz. white sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. water
Raspberry jam

Cake
1-1/3 lb. butter (room temperature)
1-1/3 lb. white sugar
2-1/4 lb. self-rising flour
2 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
Strawberry frosting
Shredded coconut

INSTRUCTIONS
Cream butter and sugar. Blend egg yolk with water; mix with butter and sugar mixture. Blend in flour. Roll out very thin. Line a grease lamington tin with half of the pastry. Prick well and spread with a good layer of raspberry jam.

Cake:
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Fold in flour, then milk and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the pasty case, making a slight hollow in the center. Roll out the remaining half of the pastry; spread with raspberry jam. Place on top of cake with jam side face down.

Bake in moderate oven 180ºC/350ºF for 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is browned and sponge cake is done. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. When cold frost with strawberry flavoured pink frosting, then sprinkle with shredded coconut.

cookiebarrel, Dec 4, 11:39am
Was wondering if it was those ones that sometimes have a thin meringue type icing on and slivered almonds on the icng.Can't for the life of me remember what they are called, but can see them right in front of me.yum, yum.They have raspberry jam and cream or mock cream, between 2 slices of pastry.

partingout, Dec 4, 8:45pm
love to know the name of the ones cookiebarrel is looking for ,my Mum made them andhavent been able to find the name . The icing on her's had a slight coffee colour to it.thin and flakey .something fingers!

snapperheadrkp, Dec 4, 10:22pm
I worked in a Bakery about 50 years ago and we used to make "MATCHES" most days. The cooked slightly coffee coloured icing was called Royal Icing and was made by beating egg whites to a peak then adding icing sugar and vanilla to make aspreadable icing that cooked up crunchy. To replicate, just thinly spread the Royal Icing on a thawed puff pastry sheet.then cut into 120mm x 60mm slices.Spread them out on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook in a hot oven, cool, split, cream and then put the MATCHES back together for serving.Made dozens of different cakes/slices, savouries that one rarely sees today, including the above Napoleon, Battenburg, Fly Cemetery, Eccles Cakes, etc,etc. Last job each Wednesday as the ovens were cooling, was to make about 1000 Brandy Snaps which were tinned so they lasted the shop the week.

245sam, Dec 4, 10:24pm
cookiebarrel and partingout, I'm not sure if these are what either of you are thinking of but they are "something fingers".

From Aunt Daisy:
ALMOND FINGERS
115g each offlourandsugar
¼ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
55g-60g butter
35g ground almonds
egg (recipe doesn't specify how many but presumably it's 1)
55g-60g icing sugar
30g chopped almonds

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.Rub in the butter.Add the sugar, ground almonds, and with beaten egg yolk, to a stiff paste.Roll out oblong on a floured board.
Beat egg white, and add the icing sugar.Spread over the paste, sprinkle on the chopped almonds.Cut into fingers and place on a greased tray.
Bake in amoderate oven (180°C)for10-15 minutes.
Note: the original recipe was not in metric quantities - the above conversions are mine, based on the actual fact that 1 ounce = 28.4g.:-))

propagator, Dec 5, 1:41am
You're on to it. Although I knew them as 'matchsticks' also, the meringue that was spread on turned a coffee colour during the cooking.One egg white and icing sugar if memory serves me correctly.

elliehen, Dec 5, 2:03am
This is quite off-topic, but I went Googling for "Matchstick cakes" and found this little history of the differences between Marmite and Vegemite.

http://starstruckworld.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/happy-little-vegemites-an-australian-american-affair/

elliehen, Dec 5, 2:12am
Under the name "Matchsticks" they seem to be a popular old Australian dessert.All the recipes I found on Google looked something like this one below although none mentioned meringue.

"Recipe 1

icing sugar, jam, 1 sheet puff pastry, cream
Cut puff pastry sheet into three strips & then cut the three strips in half.
Bake pastry in a pre-heated oven 180C for 10 mins or until lightly brown. Let pastry cool.
Spread Jam & Cream on pastry & top this with another piece of pastry.
Sift icing sugar on top.

Recipe 2 (Matchsticks with pink and white icing)

2 sheets puff pastry, 3/4 cup strawberry jam, 300ml carton thickened cream
2 tablespoons icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the pink icing:
2 cups icing sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, pink food colouring
For the white icing:
1/2 cup icing sugar, 3 teaspoons lemon juice
Place pastry on lightly greased oven trays, prick with a fork. Bake in a moderately hot oven for 15 mins, or until pastry is golden and crisp. Let cool.
Spread jam evenly over flat side of one of the sheets of pastry.
Beat cream until soft peaks form. Stir in sifted icing sugar and essence; mix well. Spread cream over jam.
Spread pink icing over flat side of remaining pastry sheet. Spoon white icing into a small piping bag. Pipe lines of white icing across 23cm width of pink icing at 4cm intervals. Draw a skewer along 30cm length of pink icing, at 4cm intervals in alternate directions to give a "feathered" effect. Place iced pastry on top of cream-covered pastry. Let stand for 15 mins, or until icing is set. Cut into 12 slices.

For the pink icing:
Combine sifted icing sugar, milk and juice in bowl, mix well, tint with colouring.

For the white icing:
Combine sifted icing sugar and juice in a bowl; mix well."

cookiebarrel, Dec 5, 2:49am
That's the ones 245sam, should have known that a clever cookie like you would give me the right nudge ;-) You're fantastic!My brain is in stress mode at the moment, more worried about cracks in the walls of my house than I am in cracks in my baking and I just couldn't think of the name.

cookiebarrel, Dec 5, 2:56am
Those Matchsticks sound nice ellihen.Think I will give them a go.snapperheadrkp mentioning brandy snaps got me going to.I have a chocolate brandysnap recipe and a lemon one I am keen to try.Think I need some baking therapy, better for me than retail therapy and others enjoy getting homebaking treats I find.

malcovy, Dec 5, 5:30am
Cookiebarrel, if you do make them could you put a picture up for us to see!

cookiebarrel, Dec 5, 6:00am
rainrain1, ones I recall similar but had a crunchy type topping, not moist like icing sugar icing.
malcovy, sure will if I can work out how to get them onto here.Have just learnt how to get them from camera to computer dah!Oh and did you mean the matchsticks, almond fingers or the variety of brandysnap flavours.Maybe I should organise a taste testing ;-)

rainrain1, Dec 5, 6:10am
I remember the ones with the thin crunchy topping, my parents had an eating place and used to buy in unfilled cream cakes, they were so delicious.I haven't ever seen them since

dibble35, Dec 5, 6:34am
My mum still makes them for most family get togethers. us 'kids' all love them. Just pastry rectangles cut in half, filled with cream and pink icing on top, yummy

supanan4, Dec 5, 7:47am
You are all awesome! thanks so much that is just what they are, the bakeries make all the other oldies, the Buttercup Bakeries in Upper Hutt do great slabs of Napoleon cake. I was on the right track and now I have the recipe, yum
This is a great site to get baking help with all you interested bakers LOL
Have a great Christmas.

unknowndisorder, Dec 5, 9:33am
Yes please, 2nd weekend March would suit thanks ;)

partingout, Dec 5, 10:34am
245samYou have just made my Christmas, I've asked so many people and haven't been able to find out the name .Thank you so much .

cookiebarrel, Dec 8, 1:53am
unknowndisorder, now you have tweeked my curiosity.please why specifically the 2nd weekend in March! :-)

unknowndisorder, Dec 8, 3:18am
easy peasey, we'll be down there ;) We race small motorcycles and travel around the North Island. Te Puke Kart Track is our destination that weekend ;)

rayoz, Dec 19, 9:52am
your recipes bring back wonderful memories hun, can you please post your recipe for the fly cemetary, that was my mums absolute favourite thanks Merry Christmas

books4nz, Dec 19, 11:12am
Mille-feuille slices! Here it's also known as the Napolean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille-feuille

cookiebarrel, Dec 19, 12:39pm
Sorry, haven't been on for a while, too busy doing Birthday Cakes and Christmas baking.Know where you will be so who knows what sort of visitor carrying gifts of food might turn up ;-)