Strawberry and Rhubarb Tart

katalin2, Dec 3, 4:44am
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a strawberry and rhubarb tart please! I have a good short pastry recipe so just need the filling. Saw a recipe in a magazine recently with a latticed top but can't remember where I saw it.

nails6, Dec 3, 6:56am
Hi, while I don't have a good recipe, I need a good shorty pastry recipe.Are you willing to share it!

katalin2, Dec 3, 7:17am
This is my late mum's recipe - she used to make it by hand but I do it in the food processor.
Cube 250gm cold butter into 500gms of flour and process until breadcrumb like.
Add 1 TBSP baking powder, 2 eggs, and mix to stiff dough with milk or cream or sour cream- ( I tend to use sour cream)

Depending if you want sweet or savoury add icing sugar or salt.

It is really easy to roll out and cut into shapes for mince pies as well.

Hope you enjoy this recipe- I use it all the time, and works out much cheaper than the bought stuff and is much easier to work with.

marcs, Dec 3, 7:40am
I don't have a recipe but basically put equal amounts of Rhubarb and Strawberry and Apples if I want. Add a bit of sugar, vanilla and a splash of balsamic vinger (don't use any other vinegar). No need to add water. Put in a pot and bring to a boil. I like to add a little bit of corn flour mxed with water when it comes to a boil. You can freeze this mixture for later if need be. I find the balsamic vinegar brings out the flavours very well. You can use this in a pie or as a crumble. Don't forget to taste to adjust sugar level. Don't put too much in at the begining either.

carlosjackal, Dec 3, 10:20pm
This recipe for STRAWBERRY AND RHUBARB PIE is an absolute hit! I had such a lot of Rhubarb last summer and made this pie/tart several times. Rhubarb and strawberry is such a winning combination. I'm sure you'll love this recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/StrawberryRhubarbPie.html

mctavi, Dec 3, 10:34pm

carlosjackal, Dec 4, 1:01am
You'll LOVE it and I'm sure you'll make it again and again! YUM!

mctavi, Dec 4, 7:08am
Was amazing! Though - I have a question. I had a HUGE amount of liquid despite putting in cornflour. is there a trick to getting rid of it while baking without cranking the heat and burning the pastry! it made my pastry base all soggy and a right mess in my oven (with the juice running out and everywhere!) :-)

cappucino1, Dec 4, 7:37am
The pastry goes soggy if it has time to absorb the liquid before the pastry starts to bake.So to prevent this from happening you need to get the pastry to bake (which seals it) quickly.

You can try starting your pie or tart closer to the bottom of the oven (or even on the bottom depending on your oven) to begin with (to get crust cooking quick) and then moving it up.Also you can try a glass or ceramic pie dish as these tend to encourage the crust to bake before it absorbs the filling.

You could also try using frozen fruit, as this means that the filling has to defrost before it releases the moisture, by which time th crust is sealed enough.

If you are making a tart (with no pastry tart) you can also try baking it blind first (without the filling) and then brushing it with either egg white or strained jam to seal it when it comes out before you add the filling.

Might be a bit of trial and error, but hopefully you find something that works for you.

cappucino1, Dec 4, 7:37am
The pastry goes soggy if it has time to absorb the liquid before the pastry starts to bake.So to prevent this from happening you need to get the pastry to bake (which seals it) quickly.

You can try starting your pie or tart closer to the bottom of the oven (or even on the bottom depending on your oven) to begin with (to get crust cooking quick) and then moving it up.Also you can try a glass or ceramic pie dish as these tend to encourage the crust to bake before it absorbs the filling.

You could also try using frozen fruit, as this means that the filling has to defrost before it releases the moisture, by which time th crust is sealed enough.

If you are making a tart (with no pastry tart) you can also try baking it blind first (without the filling) and then brushing it with either egg white or strained jam to seal it when it comes out before you add the filling.

Might be a bit of trial and error, but hopefully you find something that works for you.

Edited to add- these suggestions won't necessarily reduce the amount of liquid in the pie.To do this you could try sprinkling the fruit with a little sugar before putting them in, and then leaving for a while (the sugar causes the fruit to release the juices) and then straining to remove some of the excess liquid, or you could try increasing the amount of cornflour.

Remember to that fruit pies need to be left for a reasonable length of time before cutting (the longer the better) as it gives the fruit time to reabsorb the juices so that they don't run when you cut it.If you cut it hot, it will run no matter how much cornflour you use.

carlosjackal, Dec 4, 8:27am
Take note of what Cappucino1 has said (post # 9).I've never had a problem with this as I sealed the pastry base first with egg white. However, the fist time I made it I heated it though just before serving and it was a bit liquidy.the next time and each time thereafter, I have served it cold and the liquid has never presented a problem.

mctavi, Dec 5, 7:20am
Hugely helpful :-) Thanks so much! Will try again this weekend. do you reckon I could make it on xmas eve for xmas day!

katalin2, Dec 5, 10:59am
Thanks for the recipes-will be trying out at the weekend.

carlosjackal, Dec 6, 12:16am
Definitely.just serve it cold - not hot.

harrislucinda, Dec 6, 12:51am
justmadethistodayOkwilltrycoldlater