Winnie231's red pepper sauce - questions!

nunesy, Nov 28, 9:32pm
This might just be the answer to my search for something to give as Christmas gifts this year to those who don't want more sweet stuff.Woohoo.So, can you use pre-minced garlic instead of fresh, and where do you get small muslin bags from!I've seen big ones used for making steamed puddings, but not little ones ie for the peppercorns.And can I just wash the jars in very hot water, or do I need to do some special sterilising process!Thanks!

maitredee, Nov 28, 9:39pm
Whenever bottling always advisable to sterilise jars.

Muslin bags for peppercorns, cut a piece of muslin and hand sew it together alternatively I just tie it with a piece of string and attach to pot handle. Easier to take out.

winnie231, Nov 29, 6:49am
Hi Nunesy
Fresh garlic tastes better but you can use the pre-minced stuff too.
The recipients of your gifts will be too busy enjoying your efforts to notice whether the garlic was fresh or from a jar!
As for the muslin bag - cutting up a worn thin white pillowcase does the job too ;)

winnie231, Nov 29, 6:49am
Hi Nunesy
Fresh garlic tastes better but you can use the pre-minced stuff too.
The recipients of your gifts will be too busy enjoying your efforts to notice whether the garlic was fresh or from a jar!
As for the muslin bag - cutting up a worn thin white pillowcase does the job too ;)

Edited to add - I wash my jars & bottles in hot soapy water then place in the oven at 100C for at least 30 mins. Easy way to sterilise them.

nunesy, Dec 5, 5:56pm
Thanks winnie - now just need to go raid my local vege shops :-)

nunesy, Dec 5, 6:18pm
Sorry, just reread the recipe - I don't have a preserving pan - not sure what it is (a pan wider at the top I think!)Would a normal saucepan work!Might need to borrow one if so, mine are cheapo's and very thin-based.Thanks again.

griffo4, Dec 5, 9:35pm
Any saucepan big enough to hold everything is fine
Could someone please post the recipe

susieq9, Dec 6, 1:11am
I have got a Red Pepper & Chilli Jam (savory) recipe if you are interested. Great on crackers, with cheese or cold meats. Going to make some for christmas presents.

nunesy, Dec 6, 6:22am
This is winnie231's recipe.
Pretty Pepper Relish
1kg mixed peppers

2lrg onions 
2 apples - peeled, cored & grated

2 cloves garlic - finely chopped 

3C vinegar (I used cider & white)

2C white sugar 

1tsp salt

2tsp brown mustard seeds 

1Tblspn black peppercorns (tied in a muslin bag) 

4Tblspn thai sweet chilli sauce
Chop peppers & onions into matchstick size pieces and place in preserving pan. Add the rest. Bing to the boil then simmer till thick & pulpy (90min approx). Discard peppercorns. Pack into hot jars & leave atleast a month before using.

griffo4, Dec 6, 7:02am
Thank you nunesy for that now to get the peppers

winnie231, Dec 6, 8:15am
I'm flat out at work these days with the summer tourist season kicking in & not getting on to TM recipes as often as I used to . so thanks to those who are helping on the message board with practical answers!
As you can see it's a very simple recipe which once mature goes very well with anything from cheese & crackers to chicken pie.
If you are giving jars away as a gift then I suggest you write on a wee tag or label a "don't open before . message" as it really does taste better after the maturing period.

nunesy, Dec 15, 12:24am
Onemore question for winnie or others. how many jars (smallish, ie the smaller size jam jars) would this recipe make!Sorry, I am appalling at estimating amounts and might adjust the quantity of the ingredients depending on how much it makes.Thanks!

winnie231, Dec 15, 12:54am
Ummmm .
I haven't made it or any other preserves in a long while nunsey. I lost all my preserving equipment & pan in the Feb 22nd earthquake and haven't replaced it yet (I lived in temp accommodation with no kitchen for a long time) but I think I made around 6-8 jars (!!)
My tip would be - make the recipe as above & if you have more relish than jars, store it in a yoghurt or ice cream container in the freezer. Most preserves keep well this way.

nunesy, Dec 15, 1:12am
Thanks so much - sorry to keep bugging you!That's about the amount I want to make anyway :-)I'm just on a tight budget so only want to make the approx amount I need.(Although with some recipes it's tempting to keep a LOT for me - and I think this may be one of them!).And I'm very sorry you lost your gear in the earthquake :-(All the best for a very special Christmas in all the best ways.

winnie231, Dec 15, 5:09am
Nunsey - you're not bugging! Ask as many questions as you need to :)
That's what this forum is here for!
I'm very blessed compared to some of my Chch friends but thanks for your kind wishes.
I'll replace the stuff one day . for now the budget never seems to quite stretch to $200 on a new preserving pan.
Enjoy the relish and have a very merry Christmas.

skyblue17, Dec 16, 1:00am
Yes I'd like that recipe please.

skyblue17, Dec 17, 1:22am
Bump for susieq9