Shortbread (rice flour)

janine18, Nov 28, 7:48am
hi, i dont bake much but want to take some shortbread to someone who has lost a loved one.i thought shortbread would be nice.but i have seen quite different recipes, one was a crunchier one using some rice flour.can anyone give me a nice recipe please.many thanks :)

nauru, Nov 28, 10:41am
I use this recipe for my shortbread. Sorry measurements are not metric, it's an old recipe.
9 oz plain flour, 6 oz butter, 3 oz sugar. Cream together butter and sugar, add flour and mix to a stiff paste.roll out and cut into shapes.Bake @ 180C for 12-15 minutes.
I have never tried using all rice flour but have used 3 oz with 6 oz flour and it was really nice.

wheelz, Nov 28, 11:13am
I have a nice recipe for Butter biscuits using rice flour, will hunt it out tomorrow. Rice flour does indeed make a nice crisp biscuit!

245sam, Nov 28, 5:42pm
Here's a recipe for you janine18 - it's from the former Trademe Cooks.

"Passionfruit Shortbread (flavour in the icing)
250g butter, 1/3c castor sugar, 2 1/4c flour, 1/4c rice flour & 40g white choc melts melted. Passionfruit icing; 1 1/4c icing sugar sifted, 2 tbsp passionfruit pulp, 20g softened butter & 1tbsp water.Line 2 baking trays with paper. With electric beater, beat butter & sugar until light & creamy. Fold in sifted flours & mix well into a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead gently for a minute or until smooth. Roll out dough to 5mm thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut into 4 x 4 cm diamonds. Place on prepared trays. re-roll the pastry left-overs and cut into more diamonds. Bake at 160cfor 15 minutes or until the biscuits are very lightly golden browned. Stand for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool. 2nd bit. final part . To make the icing; combine icing sugar, passionfruit pulp, butter & water in a bowl to form a smooth paste. Stand the bowl in pan of simmering water, stirring until the icing is smooth and glossy. Remove the pan from heat but leave the bowl of icing to stand in the warm water while icing the biscuits. Using a flat-bladed knife, spread each biscuit with 1/2 tsp of icing. Leave the biscuits to stand for 15 minutes to set then drizzle or pipe a decorative pattern on top with the melted white choc. Special Note: Overheating icing will make it dull 7 grainy. Try to work as quick as possible & dip the knife into hot water occasionally to give the icing a smooth finish.
posted by valentino":-))

wheelz, Nov 28, 8:50pm
Here is the recipe I love. Can make plain, or flavored with passionfruit or lemon or orange rind. Makes 40.
250g softened butter220g icing sugar.300g plain flour.75g cornflour.50g rice flour.2 tbsp passion fruit pulp or citrus rind.
Combine butter, icing sugar and flours in food processor, process 2 mins or till combined. Add passionfruit and process till mixture clings together. Knead on lightly floured board till smooth. Cut mix in half and roll each into a 25cm log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into 1 cm slices , place on greased oven gays . Bake 170'c 20 mins till pale in color. Cool on rack.