Christmas Ice Cream

sherrydog, Nov 28, 6:26am
Have been given this as a task for Christmas Day.Thought a 2 litre tub of vanilla ice cream and then mix through glace cherries, Christmas Mince and perhaps some chopped walnuts with a tablespoon of some sort of liqueur.Would this be ok or any other suggestions!Ideas would be much appreciated.

kay34, Nov 28, 6:29am
Liqueur, and white choc chips with cherries is super yummy too

teddy147, Nov 28, 6:32am
I make christmas ice cream every year, 2 cups mixed fruit and 3/4 cup of a cup whiskey and leave to soak for a few days, then add toasted almonds and a few cherrys and fold in vanilla ice. you need to work fast when mixing. I put mine into a large tin lined with glad wrap.

macandrosie, Nov 28, 6:33am
Then maybe soften it & smooth into a mould - maybe a steam pudding bowl & refreeze it until you need it. Bring out 15-20 mins before needing - leave at room temp & hopefully you will be able to turn it out on a plate.

sherrydog, Nov 28, 6:45am
Thank you all very much.Armed to the teeth now!Will dig out a suitable bowl as a mould over weekend.

nickyd, Nov 28, 9:21am
Jo Seagar -has this one -have made it a couple of times.Left out the figs last time as not my thing.It's pretty rich -but yum! - the chilled platter is a good tip too as it melts quite fast

You can make your own vanilla ice cream or use store-bought.This ice cream can be made in advance and stored up to 6 weeks in the freezer.

Christmas Pudding Ice Cream

1 packet of each red and green cherries
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1/4 cup finely chopped dessert figs
1/2 cup brandy
10 plump, dried apricots, chopped
2 litres (or quarts) good quality vanilla ice cream, softened
50 g dark 70% chocolate (small chocolate bar)
1/2 cup flaked almonds, toasted
Step 1 – Combine dried fruits.Add brandy, cover and soak for 12-24 hours.Stir occasionally.

Step 2 – Mix soaked fruits, ice cream, chocolate, and almonds.Spoon the mixture into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.Smooth surface and cover with overhanging sides of food wrap.Freeze until firm.To serve, turn on to chilled serving platter.Decorate with fresh berries of the season or holly.Enjoy!

usualsuspect, Nov 28, 10:01am
would oj work instead of the alcohol or would that defeat the purpose !it all sounds so yum!

wheelz, Nov 28, 9:03pm
Would this not be icy!

kirmag, Nov 28, 9:22pm
blerk OP - sounds like the one my mum makes at Xmas time. i'm not a fan hahaha but everyone else is. google Casata recipes, it's very similar to what you are describing.

kirmag, Nov 28, 9:24pm
this recipe you use brandy or oj so yep i'd say so :)
http://www.creativegourmet.com.au/recipe-database/cherry-cassata-ice-cream

sarahb5, Nov 28, 10:04pm
I make mine just as you suggested - good vanilla ice cream, a tub of fruit mince, a few cherries or cranberries and some pistachios.I don't add any alcohol because I have usually already done that in the fruit mince (a bit of brandy usually) and also because it's the kids who usually eat it.Then I line a pudding bowl with Glad wrap, tip in the ice cream and refreeze.At Christmas I turn it out onto a plate so it's in the shape of a traditional Christmas pudding and pour chocolate sauce over it - anyone will do but the kids like the one that freezes.I prefer a hot chocolate sauce or even a couple of melted Mars Bars.It's one of the simplest and most popular Christmas treats.