Gingerbread Reindeers

denbru, Nov 27, 2:20am
I have just seen a great idea gingerbread men turned upside down with legs at the top for the antlers and decorated they look terrific. I want to make some but don't have a gingerbread recipe! Anyone out their that does would be very grateful.

ange164, Nov 27, 2:28am
Would you like a soft gingerbread recipe! or a firm ginger biscuit!

denbru, Nov 27, 2:32am
Prefer a biscuit recipe, thanks!

ange164, Nov 27, 2:41am
This rolls out well if you dust surface with flour as necessary during the rolling out process.
Ideally have a cake mixer to do this as it helps to get the mixture to bind together. (My arm muscles seldom have that much omph when it comes to beating cookie dough.)
125 g butter.
1 egg
2 rounded teaspoons ginger
1/2 T golden syrup
1 cup sugar
2 and 1/2 cupsflour
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder.
1. Cream the butter and sugar and syrup.
2. Beat in the egg.
3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture balls up around the beater.
(It should be a play dough texture. If too sticky add a bit more flour 1 Tablespoon at a time.)
4.Roll out to 5-8 mm thick and cut your shapes. These will grow a little, so give them space and if you like them crunchy - 5mm thick, softer = roll thicker.
5. Alternatively, roll tablespoons full into balls and flatten with your hand or a fork.
6. Bake @ 175 Celsius till golden [about 10-12 mins.] 155 Celsius if your oven is on fan bake.

This is halfthe original recipe to make small family size batch. (approx 30 cookies).It came from an "old girls college" recipe collection type of book from the 1940's where it used half a lb of butter, 4 rounded cups flour,and made a huge batch.

denbru, Nov 27, 3:10am
Thank you ange. These old recipe are just the best I want to make a good size batch so will double the mixture. Many thanks!