Expired buttermilk?

Page 1 / 2
accroul, Nov 26, 11:50pm
Unopened box of buttermilk with a date of 19 Nov. Use of chuck!

lost-in-oz, Nov 26, 11:51pm
use by or best before!

nfh1, Nov 26, 11:56pm
Chuck

uli, Nov 27, 12:00am
small and maybe if daring even taste - it is most likely still fine :)

245sam, Nov 27, 12:09am
I think uli means to smell "and maybe if daring even taste".Have a look also and if there is no discolouration IMO the buttermilk will be ok to use - it is only 8 days past its "date" so if it was mine I would use it for baking, probably not for uncooked items such as dressings, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Nov 27, 12:09am
I think uli means to smell "and maybe if daring even taste".Have a look also and if there is no discolouration IMO the buttermilk will be ok to use - it is only 8 days past its "date" so if it was mine, and it passed the sight and smell 'test', I would use it for baking, probably not for uncooked items such as dressings, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

accroul, Nov 27, 12:11am
Best Before

nfh1, Nov 27, 12:13am
I think I must have a psychological problem with using stuff after the date, the very thought that it may be off, puts me off, so I always throw away.You have food poisoning once, you never ever want to get it again.

Enjoy!

lost-in-oz, Nov 27, 12:14am
it's best before and still sealed, so I would use in baking.

Do as others have suggested though and do the smell test first.

245sam, Nov 27, 12:23am
I agree absolutely, especially as it is unopened - look and smell then if ok re both of those, don't waste but use promptly once opened.:-))

davidt4, Nov 27, 12:30am
As long as it's been unopened and in a really cold fridge it is most likely fine.It should smell sweet and fresh, mildly lactic.If it has any kind of stale smell biff it.

skippie1, Nov 27, 2:41am
Smell and taste, most prob still ok, same as natural yoghurt, have eaten it 2weeks past use by date and is still ok.

cookessentials, Nov 27, 3:53am
Use.

accroul, Nov 27, 5:05am
Awesome! I knock something up after my orange cake & dinner comes out of the oven.

radark, Nov 27, 5:20am
use.sour milk is great for baking so buttermilk would be no diff

accroul, Nov 27, 6:37am
Done & dusted. I opened the carton & it smelt like.nothing! Tasted like yoghurt. There's a batch of buttermilk/jam muffins cooling on my table. Tasty (I hope) playlunches for the family tomorrow!
Thanks everyone.

macandrosie, Nov 28, 6:20am
Absolutely use it! I used some seriously old yoghurt recently - was sitting down in the dairy shed fridge. Was meant to be for adding to the stored calf milk, but got forgotten about. The boxes were bulging! I thought "what the heck I'll make some scones"!Along with fresh unprocessed cows milk! And they were beaut! Quite light & Fluffy actually. You would never know the youghurt had well & truly expired.

village.green, Nov 28, 7:35pm
Glad you used it. I do that with my raw milk when it has gone sour (not mouldy) and use it for muffins and pancakes.

flower-child01, Nov 28, 11:31pm
Buttermilk is perfectly fine past it's use by date, just shake it up and away you go. This was advice from one of our great cooks.

kara101, Nov 29, 12:22am
You can make your own buttermilk with vinegar, cheaper and easier than buying it as expensive in the shops.Martha Stewart makes her own. so of course I now have to as well lol!

uli, Nov 29, 10:18pm
You cannot make buttermilk with vinegar.

Buttermilk is made by adding a bacteria culture.

Vinegar just separates the whey and protein into little flakes.

And it will taste nothing at all like buttermilk!

davidt4, Nov 29, 10:57pm
Uli is right.That's not buttermilk, it's just curdled milk.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 12:23am
Its a good substitute.although using lemon juice would make it taste better than vinegar.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 12:23am
Its a good substitute Kara.although using lemon juice would make it taste better than vinegar. Buttermilk ( the real thing) is actually what is left over when making butter. The commercially made "buttermilk" is made using culture, but it is not real buttermilk, so both posters are incorrect.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 12:32am