WANTED: Moist Lemon Cake Recipe

blackhelebore89, Dec 21, 8:29pm
Hey all.

A friend in the North Island makes amazing moist lemon cake, and I have a sudden craving for it! I can't get in touch with her so was wondering if anyone has an amazing lemon cake recipe they could share?

This will seem a bit simple compared to all the christmas desert ideas about at the moment, but would be much appreciated!

Merry Christmas.

pam.delilah, Dec 21, 8:45pm
x1
here are two, one with yoghurt and one with sour cream

Lemon Yoghurt Cake Alison Holst's
Ingredients
• 1¾ cups sugar
• finely grated rind of 2 lemons
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup canola or other oil
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup plain yoghurt
• 2 - 3 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 cups self-raising flour
Comments
This light, lemony cake contains oil rather than butter, and is very easy to mix, either in a food processor, or in a bowl using a whisk or fork.
Method
Heat oven to 190°C (180°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
Spray a 23cm (7 cup capacity) ring pan with non-stick spray, then coat evenly with sieved flour.
If using a food processor, put the sugar and finely grated lemon rind in the bowl.
Add the eggs, oil and salt, then process until thick and smooth. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice and blend enough to mix. Add the flour and process just enough to combine.
To mix by hand, grate all the coloured peel from the lemons into a large bowl. Add the sugar, eggs and oil, then whisk together. Add the salt, yoghurt and lemon juice and mix again. Sift in the flour and fold in with a stirrer until just combined.
Pour cake mixture into prepared ring pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the sides start to shrink, the centre springs back when pressed, and a skewer comes out clean. Leave for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Cool.
Serve with sliced kiwi fruit or fresh berries and whipped cream or yoghurt.
Variation: For a lower fat cake, replace ¼ cup of the oil with ¼ cup of extra yoghurt.

Lemon Sour Cream Cake

Cream 250g butter and 2 cups sugar together.
Add 6 eggs, 250g sour cream and 2tsp lemon rind.
Beat well.
Fold in 2 cups flour and 2 tsp baking powder. put in greased and lined 23cm cake tin and bake at 180 for 50-60 mins.
When cooked pour over top juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 tsp sugar and leave to soak into cake

blackhelebore89, Dec 21, 8:48pm
Ohhh, the second one looks good! Thanks!

unknowndisorder, Apr 22, 6:28am
bumping for someone who wants a lemon cake with pour over sauce :)

cookessentials, Apr 22, 9:32am
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour, shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs, oil, sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for thirty minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

elliehen, Apr 22, 10:45am
I use my Bundt tin all the time (bought in the US) and have a recipe book entirely devoted to Bundt cakes. Be careful to let a Bundt cake rest for 10 mins before turning out, or you might get half a Bundt cake! They are easy to repair, though... have repaired them many times... like doing a jigsaw puzzle ;)

elliehen, Apr 22, 10:48am
cookessentials, have just spotted your 'only five minutes'. Do you think my ten minutes has been causing some of my half-Bundts? I seem to have a 80% success rate for turning out...

cookessentials, Apr 22, 7:04pm
Do you butter and flour them? Does it happen to be a Nordicware one? as some of their bunds are extremely intricate in pattern with lots of points and crevices.

amourette, Apr 22, 7:17pm
Hi ladies these sound so yummy, would it matter too much if I substituted unsweetened greek yoghurt for the plain yoghurt, have a great day everyone!

dulouz, Apr 22, 7:28pm
3tsp of lemon juice isn't very much. I'd reduce some of the other wets and add more juice.

barloo, Apr 22, 7:49pm
dulouz I always add more lemon juice! ! Sometimes I add the zest also! !

I love cakes and slices with a Real lemon hit!

elliehen, Apr 23, 1:51am
barloo, try this one... quick and easy, but very moist and lemony. You can drench it with as much lemon juice as you like while it's hot.
LEMON MADEIRA CAKE
Cream 225g butter (yes, a lot! ) with 3/4 cup sugar
Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
Add grated rind of one lemon & 1 Tblsp lemon juice
Add 1 heaped cup self-raising flour
Bake in medium-sized ring tin at 180* for 35 minutes

Remove from oven. While cake is still hot, pour over the juice of one lemon combined with 1/4 cup sugar.

Could be baked in a 20cm square tin.

245sam, Apr 23, 2:04am
amourette, the Greek yoghurt will be great and if my memory serves me correctly I believe it is Greek yoghurt that Pam/cookessentials usually recommends/uses for her Lemon Yoghurt Cake. :-))

cookessentials, Apr 23, 3:24am
I always add more lemon and zest myself. I would not reduce any of the "wets' though.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 3:29am
yes, I often use the Yoplait Greek yoghurt, I also use one of the others at times.

pixiegirl, Apr 23, 4:50am
Yep I can vouche for cookessentials Lemon Yoghurt Cake - it is devine. Now reminds me I haven't made it for a while... ... ... . .
It is really good. The first time I made it I didn't tell anyone what was in it - friends thought it was great, asked what was in and when I told them wife said hubby doesn't eat yoghurt - well he does now.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 23, 5:00am
Does anyone have one using ground almonds instead of flour?
My daughter had a superb lemon cake as part of her wedding cake and I'm certain it was made with ground almonds as it had that gorgeous sogginess!

elliehen, Feb 24, 10:45am
Lately I've been spraying it with cooking oil... maybe I'll return to the butter/flour.

Yes, my Bundt pan is Nordicware from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and it came with a 142 page book of recipes specifically for Bundt pans.

There's even a 'Rutabaga Cake' with one cup of raw shredded rutabaga [swede] in it! Maybe that could be one for the posters in the 'hated veges' thread who named swede.

One of my all-time favourites from the book is 'Chocolate Macaroon Cake' with a delicious track of macaroon through the middle :)