Lost Orange Cake recipe - help please!

accroul, Nov 26, 8:26pm
The recipe was from a recent magazine but I can't recall WHICH magazine.
I'm sure the recipe only required 1 orange - boiled (apart from all the other ingredients - like almonds, may have had some flour too). Now, the only other clues I have is that the picture is at the bottom of the righthand page & the cake is cut into squares rather than wedges. Unfortunately this is all the info my brain is allowing me. Can anyone recall the magazine! (yes, I know I'm asking the earth!)

bridget107, Nov 26, 9:25pm
This one is really yummy! You can choose to add in the dates or not if you don't like them. http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/golden-orange-date-and-chocolate-cupcakes/

dms01, Nov 27, 10:10am

accroul, Nov 27, 7:40pm
Still haven't found it - I'm starting to think I must have been dreaming.
I found this on youtube though http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=HIXytlNJVT0 . I did something a bit different to the whizzed up oranges though.

samboy, Nov 27, 8:03pm
Was it by any chance the one by Annabel Langbein!Anyway this is it, my husband made it in the weekend and its really yummy and disappeared very quickly in our house.

Orange Lightening Cake - Annabel Langbein Simple Pleasures Book

1 orange (unpeeled)
1 tsp Baking soda
125gms softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup sultanas or raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 160 deg C. Grease a 20cm diameter cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
Cut the orange into quarters, remove the seeds and whizz in a food processor until finely chopped. Dissolve B soda in 1/2 cup water and add to the food processor with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Whizz to combine. Add sultanas or raisins, and walnuts if using, and stir with a spoon or pulse several times to just combine (don't whizz them or they will break up)
Pour into prepared cake tin and bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. (about 1 hour)
Orange lightening cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week or can be frozen.

samboy, Nov 27, 8:10pm
I have this one as well which my neighbour typed out from the Taste Magazine:

BOILED ORANGE SQUARES

Melted butter, to grease
2 oranges
3 eggs
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
300g (3 cups) almond meal
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
Orange Syrup
1 orange
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) springform pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base with non-stick baking paper.
Place the oranges in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes (this will reduce the bitterness of the peel). Refresh under cold water. Drain. Coarsely chop oranges. Remove and discard any seeds.
Place the orange in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
Use an electric beater to whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add the orange, almond meal and baking powder and gently fold until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
Meanwhile, to make the orange syrup, use a zester to remove the rind from the orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from orange. Use a small sharp knife to remove white pith. Cut rind into thin strips.) Juice orange.
Place rind in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return to pan with orange juice and sugar. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens.
Turn cake onto a serving plate. Use a skewer to gently prick the top. Spoon over syrup. Cut into wedges to serve.

macandrosie, Nov 28, 6:13am
This is also a very nice recipe.
Orange Pulp Cake
Very nice!

2 medium oranges
4 large eggs
2 cups raw sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup coconut
Place whole oranges in a large pot of water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about an hour. Drain & cool. Place in processor & process until really pulpy. Set aside. Combine flours, baking soda & cloves, set aside. Process eggs & sugar for 2 minutes. While processor is running, pour in oil slowly. Pulse in the orange pulp, walnuts & coconut alternately with the dry ingreds. Bake @ 180° C in around tin for an hour.
Ice with cream cheese icing.
Icing:
2 cups icing sugar
50gr softened butter
50 gr lite cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
Beat all these ingreds together until smooth & pale in colour. Spread onto cold cake. Can decorate with orange rind & chopped walnuts.