Beetroot Relish recipes

bev00, Jan 17, 10:35am
mm i made one up last year, peeled and grated my beetroot and then simmered in malt vinegar/brown sugar mix until the beetroot was cooked and the liquid had reduced then i added peppercorns and bottled, hubby LOVES it.

Quotepurplegoanna (1583 )12

wildflower, Jan 18, 2:26am
2 cups cooked/ 2 cans beetroot, orange rind, 1 c vinegar and 1 c brown sugar and simmer until thick and reduced.Great in burgers.

mjhdeal, Jan 18, 4:09am
I like lacto-fermented beetroot. Ingredients = beetroot, salt, and time.

darlingmole, Jan 18, 5:18am
oh yes please! sounds really nice . mmmm

moore., Nov 26, 4:27am
does anyone have any tried and true relish recipes please

petal1955, Nov 26, 5:25am
I have one for Beetroot chutney, it is an old one my Grandmother made and I still make when I grow beetroot or get given it. I reallly like the stuff.

Beetroot Chutney

2 lbs beetroot
1 1/2 lbs onions
2 - 3 cups sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp spice
1/2 tsp cayenne

Peel onions and beetroot then weigh. Put through mincer. Barely cover with vinegar and cook approx 20 mins, thicken with 1/2 cup cornflour and small amount of vinegar and then place into hot jars. Do check the consistency though as you wouldn't want it too runny.

Now in saying that I make it, I cannot remember what spice I use, mixed spice or cloves. Pepper may be quite nice too.

Beetroot Chutney
• Ingredients
2 kg beetroot (to make 1.5kg cooked chopped beetroot)
500 mls water
2 tablespoons salt
500 gms mixed dried fruit (buy a packet or make your own mixture of sultanas, currants, raisins, chopped dates, chopped dried apricots)
250 gms onions
2 cups malt vinegar
250 gms sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
Method
1.Trim the leaves and wash the beetroot
2.Put the water and first measure of salt into a saucepan and add the beetroot
3.Cook whole beetroot until tender ( 20 -40 mins depending on size)
4.Pour cold water over the cooked beetroot and rub with fingers until skin comes off
5.Weigh cooked, skinned beetroot so you have 1.5kg
6.Put vinegar, sugar, 1 tbsp salt, pepper and allspice in a saucepan
7.Add chopped dried fruit and onions
8.Boil until the onions are soft and the mixture begins to thicken
9.Add 1.5kg cooked chopped beetroot
10.Boil gently for 15 minutes
11.Take off the heat and pour into clean hot jars
12.To prepare jars go to the post on preparing jars for storing preserves
Makes up to 10 x 300gm jars.

BEETROOT PICKLE

1 Kg beetroot
700g onions, finely chopped (can be done in food processor)
½ tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp salt
2½ cups Chelsea white sugar
malt vinegar - approximately 500ml
2 tbsp cornflour
Boil the unpeeled and scrubbed beetroot for 3/4 hour. Cool, then peel and chop finely (a food processor will make this easy). Place in a preserving pan with the onions, pepper, spice, salt and sugar. Cover with malt vinegar and boil gently for ½ hour. Thicken with the cornflour mixed to a paste with a little malt vinegar. Stir and simmer a further 10 minutes. Bottle in clean sterilised jars and seal.
Makes 4-5 cups. :-))

BEETROOT RELISH 1
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp honey
250g raw grated beetroot (2 smallish beetroot)
pinch ground cinnamon
pinch ground ginger
pinch ground allspice
pinch ground nutmeg
2 tsp sherry
4 tbsp water
4 tbsp vinegar
TO MAKE RELISH
Melt the butter, dissolve the honey in it and heat until caramelised and golden brown.
Add the beetroot and cook for 2 minutes, then add the spices and sherry and cook for a few minutes longer. Add the water and vinegar and continue to cook until the beetroot is still slightly crunchy. Add a little more water if needed.

BEETROOT RELISH 2

Ingredients
800g beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated or cut into small chunks
1 red onion, finely chopped
½ cup sugar
1 star anise
1 teaspoon ground allspice
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Method
Place all ingredients in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid and carry on cooking until liquid has all but evaporated and beets are tender and glossy. Stored in the fridge, it will keep for a couple of weeks.  

BEETROOT RELISH 3

2lbs beetroot
1 1/2 lbs onions
1 lb sugar
1 teasp allspice
1 teasp salt
1/2 teasp cayenne pepper
3 1/2 cups vinegar

Peel beetroot and onions and put through medium mincer( of course these days it would be the foodprocessor etc but it does not want to be pulverised!) Put all ingred in pan and boil for 1/2 hour.
Thicken with 3 Tablespoons cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup vinegar. Boil further 5 minutes- bottle and seal

petal1955, Nov 26, 5:27am
=Beetroot Relish/Chutney

This is a recipe I have had much success with over the years!

2 lb Beetroot, 1 tblsp Plain Salt, 2 cups sugar, 2 large onions, 1 tsp allspice, half cup flour.

Mince peeled beetroot (I use grater on kitchen whizz), just cover with vinegar (malt), add sugar, salt and allspice. Boil for 20 min. Mix flour with a little vinegar and add. Boil gently for a further 10 min. stirring occasionally. DO NOT COOK BEETROOT BEFOREHAND!

Beetroot Relish

A beautiful rich coloured relish, makes a beautiful home made gift. Serve with cold meats such as ham, beef, turkey etc.
Ingredients:
750g fresh beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 chopped onion
400g peeled,cored and chopped green apples
410ml white wine vinegar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
Method:
Place all ingredients in large pan or stock pot and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring often, for 20-30 minutes or until the beetroot and onion are tender and the relish has reduced and thickened. Spoon into clean, hot jars and seal. Turn upside down for two minutes, invert and leave to cool. Leave for a month before using. Refrigerate after opening for up to six

Beetroot Relish

A beautiful rich coloured relish, makes a beautiful home made gift. Serve with cold meats such as ham, beef, turkey etc.
Ingredients:
750g fresh beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 chopped onion
400g peeled,cored and chopped green apples
410ml white wine vinegar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
Method:
Place all ingredients in large pan or stock pot and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring often, for 20-30 minutes or until the beetroot and onion are tender and the relish has reduced and thickened. Spoon into clean, hot jars and seal. Turn upside down for two minutes, invert and leave to cool. Leave for a month before using. Refrigerate after opening for up to six

marcs, Nov 26, 5:39am
I like to add apples and currants to my beetroot chutney. Yummy served with brie similar cheeses, ham, roast pork.

wildflower, Nov 26, 5:50am
Marcs, what's your recipe please.I'm growing beetroot this year for the first time, I usually just buy canned.

makespacenow, Nov 26, 6:19am
ooh you must try making beetroot chips/crisps.
My kids love them, I make a veggie mix - beetroot, parsnips, carrots and sweet potato.much nicer than the ordinary potato ones that are oversalted :D

makespacenow, Nov 26, 6:20am
I got grandma's Beetroot and Cabbage Relish with Horseradish recipeif you are interested

moore., Nov 26, 8:11am
these all sound so good!

macandrosie, Nov 28, 6:26am
I have also added orange juice to my recipe & I now tend to make relishes in the large slow cooker. Gets it out of the kitchen [actually I leave it in my storeroom so it doesn't stink the house out!] Very nice tho with orange in it.