"" Help"" In Using Fan bake oven for Xmas Cake

bindyloo, Nov 25, 10:07pm
Am baking Christmas cake in new fan back oven for the first time.Old oven says 150deg c for 4 hours.Would appreciate temp, used for fan bake oven.

fifie, Nov 25, 10:23pm
Usually drop the temp in F/bake about 10-20 degs, i'd go back to about 130c keep a eye on it if you find its colouring to much on top or starting to crack sit a piece of tin foil over the top for remainder of cooking time.

bindyloo, Nov 25, 10:30pm
Phew, thank you so much, am just about set to put in.Best regards.,

kay141, Nov 25, 10:50pm
Can you bake it without the fan! I have always found that the fan is inclined to make my fruit cakes too dry. On my oven, I have a choice of fanbake and nofanbake.

bindyloo, Nov 25, 11:13pm
Omg, I did not even think of that, lol lol,I do have this feature, (conventional cooking setting. ) Appreciate your tips on this.

kay141, Nov 25, 11:15pm
Then I'd cook your Xmas cake without the fan and at your normal temperature. At least, you know that works.
I use the fan to heat up the oven and it is great for quicker cooking things or where you have several trays in at once.

carlosjackal, Nov 26, 1:15am
I would suggest getting yourself an oven thermometer which you hang from one of the oven rungs or sit it on the 'floor' of the oven. It will give you a very accurate reading of how hot your oven really is - that way you will know if the temperature you select for oven bake is actually 10-20'C less than the 'true' temperature of the conventional oven. As the oven temp.varies so much from oven to oven, this will be the first step to know if the temp. you have selected is the right temp, or if it needs "tweeking". They are not very dear and can be bought from most Kitchen stores or for example Moore Wilson's (Wellington, Kenepuru and Masterton).

bindyloo, Nov 26, 1:27am
What a great idea, maybe ask grandchildren to get for Christmas, (lol)My cake smells so good ,thanks everyone for your input.

bindyloo, Nov 26, 1:28am
Really appreciate your advice re this,

bindyloo, Nov 26, 2:21am
Cake turned out perfectly.Thanks once again