Wanted - savoury muffin that doesn't include

gaspodetwd, Apr 22, 5:24am
cheese, capsicum, ham or bacon or any cured meat, tomato.

I know it doesn't leave much - but I want it for my allergy prone daughter. She loves salmon and I can use cooked meat. Does leek work? I can use onion. Pumpkin? kumara is also ok - but not potato. Sweetcorn is okay too. TIA.

margyr, Apr 22, 5:31am
leeks would be fine, i would be inclined to roast them all first leek included and then make the muffins with them when cold. can she eat spinach some of that in the mix would be nice, not sure about the salmon, but no harm in trying it. cut the vege quite small and the leek in rings, roast till nice and tasty.

elliehen, Apr 22, 6:58am
What about one of the zucchini muffin variations? I have a book titled 'The Muffin Bible' and it has every muffin you could possibly imagine. I'll post the most promising...

elliehen, Apr 22, 7:04am
ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 tblsp oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 & 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini

Beat together egg, sugar, oil and buttermilk. Combine dry ingredients. Add zucchini and wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are just combined, and spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake in a preheated oven at 180*C for 20-30 minutes.

ZUCCHINI NUT MUFFINS
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup canola oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, if nuts are a problem)
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 180*C. Grease muffin pans. Sift dry ingredients (except sugar) and set aside. Combine sugar and eggs. Beat 2 minutes. Add oil and beat for 3 minutes. Add zucchini, vanilla, nuts and raisins. Fold in dry ingredients until mixed. Fill muffin pans two-thirds full and bake for 25 minutes . Wonderful with berry jam.

Source: The Muffin Bible, Penguin Books 2001, ISBN 0 14 301800 0

elliehen, Apr 22, 7:10am
SPICY PUMPKIN MUFFINS
1 cup plain flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tblsp baking powder
1/2 Tblsp each ground ginger and cloves
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1 cup pumpkin puree

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, milk and pumpkin. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake at 200*C for 20-30 mins.

This recipe has just 1/4 cup sugar.

elliehen, Apr 22, 7:19am
Other possibilities in this 'Bible' are SPINACH & CARAMELISED ONION MUFFINS, ORANGE CARROT MUFFINS (only 2 Tblsp sugar), KUMARA & WALNUT ( a little honey, no sugar)... do any of these appeal?

gaspodetwd, Apr 22, 8:45am
Spinach ones sound great - and so do the kumara ones. She can't have citrus. p[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[(rr - newkitten is helping me type! ) - This has taken so long to type - she loves the computer!

demo9, Apr 22, 8:57am
kumara and bacon muffin. they are yummy

elliehen, Apr 22, 9:57am
CARAMELISED ONION MUFFINS
2 onions, thinly sliced
1Tblsp butter
1 Tblsp sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
[1 & 1/2 cups grated cheese - OOPS! - omit? ? ]

Slowly fry onions with butter and sugar till soft and golden. Transfer to a bowl. Make egg up to 1 cup with water and add with remaining ingredients to onion mixture. Mix until just combined. Spoon into well-greased muffin pans and bake at 190*C for 12-15 mins.

elliehen, Apr 22, 10:04am
This is the one I was looking for...
SPINACH & CARAMELISED ONION MUFFINS
2 onions, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 bunch spinach, washed and spun dry
2 & 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup oil
[1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese on top]

Cook the diced onions slowly over medium-high heat in olive oil until they become richly caramelised. Remove to cool. Add the spinach to the pan and cook over high heat until the leaves become completely wilted. Remove to cool. When cool, chop finely. Reserve. Combine four dry ingredients in bowl and mix. Agg eggs, milk and oil to dry ingredients along with cooled onions and spinach. Mix together unt just combined. Scoop batter into buttered muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. [Top with Parmesan. ] Bake at 215*C for about 15 mins.

elliehen, Apr 22, 10:09am
KUMARA & WALNUT MUFFINS
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup clear honey
2 Tblsp oil
1 cup mashed, cooked kumara
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat milk, eggs, honey and oil in large bowl. Stir in kumara. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and stir into kumara mixture. Add walnuts. Divide mixture into prepared muffin pans. Bake at 200*C for 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

korbo, Apr 22, 6:24pm
what lovely recipes. will print out and make some at the weekend. thanks. you are wonderful in taking the time to type them.

barloo, Apr 22, 7:52pm
have you tried non cows milk cheeses?

Adding herbs also gives a loverly full flavour toos. Yoou could also use red onion as they are less strong in flavour. You could also pre cook the onion to give a lesser flavour from them!

ruby19, Apr 22, 8:42pm
Just a thought can your daughter eat the vegetarian bacon put out by sanatarium? This would give the flavour of bacon in muffins etc.

hezwez, Apr 22, 10:25pm
elliehen I plan to make your kumara and walnut muffins on Sunday... do you use Texas muffin pans? How many would this mixture make? Same cooking time? Thanks

elliehen, Apr 22, 11:51pm
I use the 12-cup muffin pans and haven't used the Texas size, but I don't think cooking time would be much different. I also have a 3-cup Breville benchtop muffin maker - a very handy gadget - and make 6 muffins out of a mixture of this size, cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.
Hope this helps :)

odie6, Apr 23, 5:02am
Yum they sound so scrumy.

gaspodetwd, Apr 23, 5:23am
Wow - loads to try! Thanks. Barloo - yes we have tried different cheeses - she was okay on A2 for a while but gets ill with that now. I try to make everything as naturally as I can - so I will definitely have a go. the lack of cheese is a bit of a problem - but I will caramelise onions and play about with sweetcorn too. And I will see if she will eat spinach in them. Such a shame she can't eat cheese.