Vegitarian Pie

beaker59, Nov 24, 8:22am
I have been asked to come up with some ideas for a vegitarian pie. Nothing to fancy but to generally appeal to your average vegitarian or someone who justs wants a different pie from the average steak and cheese. I was thinking something like a std white sauce with fresh vegetables steamed in std pastry guess that means its not vegan so possibly a cheese sauce. The veges a mix of whats in season and cheap so possibly now maybebrocolli, carrot, onion, kumara, pumkin, cauli etc.

What do any of you vegitarians think this seems to be a bit boring but I need something that would be durable(cooked then chilled for up to 3 ordays then reheated for sale) repeatable and wide appeal its for a bakery menu. Not being a vegitarian myself its hard to judge what people would like.

245sam, Nov 24, 8:33am
beaker59, how about the following, or a variation of it!

"CHEESE AND ONION PIE
Here goes for one large pie.

make 200g shortcrust pastry. (can give recipe if needed) and line 20.5cm plate.
Filling 2 large chopped onions cooked in boiling salted water for 5 mins and then drained. (I do mine in the microwave with 2 Tbsp water for 2 mins and drain)
100g grated cheese, whatever you have. I use tasty.
30ml milk (2 Tbsp)
Salt and pepper
Divide pastry into two and roll out and line a 20.5 cm plate.
Spread the cooked and drained onions, top with the grated cheese and milk and season well with salt and pepper.
Cover with the rest of the rolled out pastry and seal the edges well. Decorate if liked, and brush with milk and a sprinkling of grated cheese
Bake 200c for about 30 mins.

As there is only two of us I make it on two side plates and change the recipe to a third more. If you need any help please ask.

Quote kiwitrish (214 )8:23 pm, Mon 6 Feb #37"

Hope that helps.:-))

bridget107, Nov 24, 8:47am

elliehen, Nov 24, 8:50am
My favourite is Leek, Blue Cheese and Walnut in your standard piecrust.

elliehen, Nov 24, 8:52am
Another good filling is red kidney beans, pumpkin and chilli.

elliehen, Nov 24, 8:56am
You could make a cubed roast veg mix with feta, sun-dried tomato, red capsicum, cashews but the white sauce does not appeal.

daisyhill, Nov 24, 8:59am
Anything with puy lentils (the dark green ones) is a lovely change from the usual! They are an excellent substitute for minced beef in pies.

beaker59, Nov 24, 9:21am
I will look into lentils though not really after a substitute as such rather a pie that stands on its own.

daisyhill, Nov 24, 9:23am
A puy lentil shepherd's pie is rarely on menus but always appreciated by any vegetarians I've fed it to! Puy lentils (or any kind of lentils really) definitely stand on their own, but in a place you might expect meat to stand if that makes sense :)

Now that you've said you don't want substitutes, of course that's where my mind has turned next. Quorn is now available in New Zealand if you're lucky -- we found it at New World, and of course Hell Pizza uses it as a topping now too -- and it's a wonderful meat substitute. I frequently use Quorn chicken in place of the real thing in curries and pies, and nobody has ever complained. Plenty of meat-eaters haven't even noticed!

beaker59, Nov 24, 10:22am
True a white sauce doesn't rock me that much either I guess its a safe option. I had thought of the roast vege type option though the feta probably wouldn't stand the cook then reheat option that well this isn't a cafe but a bakery so gotta keep it practical. Maybe a puy lentil vege stock gravy across some steamed green vege and some tomatos for some lift maybe some of the other extras.

frances1266, Nov 24, 5:04pm
I used to buy a nice pie some years ago.It was a white sauce with a white sauce flavoured with a chicken style stock cube (easy to find, Countdown have them).It had veg and had some tomato which gave it a nice flavour.They were from a bakery and were very popular.

ruby19, Nov 24, 7:29pm
What about a mushroomstroganoff/goulash filling. Curried veg, Thai or Indian.

uli, Nov 24, 8:33pm
What about a variation on the old spanakopita!

roshu, Nov 24, 8:44pm
I made my version of this last night for tea. I didn't have cream so just used a little milk with the egg. i am cooking for a coeliac so this one is gluten free and so delicious.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/28/polenta-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

beaker59, Nov 24, 8:49pm
Sounds like that could work the wikipedia reference talks about a greek rural varient using spinach onions chard and leeks in a puff pastry. Will look into the economics as it needs to be profitable at 3.50.

uli, Nov 24, 10:22pm
You could use silverbeet or spinachbeet (without the stalks) - much cheaper than spinach. Here is a simplified version for one big pie which you can easily adapt:

Easy Spanakopita (Greek spinach and egg pie)

Into a huge bowl put:
several sauteed onions,
1 tub cottage cheese,
2 cups grated cheddar cheese,
2 cups chopped spinach or silverbeet (or more!),
1T nutmeg,
2 crushed garlic cloves,
1T salt,
6 eggs.

Mix all with a spoon.
Line a big dish with 5 layers of filo pastry.
Fill pie.
Top with 4 or 5 layers filo pastry.
Cook one hour on 180C or till set.

uli, Nov 26, 5:20am
bump for beaker59

fendi3, Nov 26, 9:30pm
Have a look at www.kurma.net for excellent vegetarian recipes. I am not vegetarian but have all his cook books as they are amazing!

dms01, Nov 27, 10:40am

evie.t76, Nov 30, 8:14am
Spinach,mushroom,chilli and cheese is my fav