Rice

mike16, Nov 24, 7:02am
If I have a surplus of rice can I save it in the fridge to be warmed up later ! CanI make a large cooker and freeze it in small quantities to be unfrozen and used later ! Convenience and work prompts this question. Thanks, Mike.

dalkemade, Nov 24, 7:10am
I have frozen cooked rice then reheated or used in fried rice. No problems.

nfh1, Nov 24, 7:15am
You just have to be really careful that it is cooled quickly and reheated properly.Rice is really good for giving you food poisoning if not treated correctly.

carlosjackal, Nov 24, 7:54am
I was recently told about a very novel way of reheating rice: Take a long piece of handy towel and saturate it in water. Squeeze the excess water from the hany towel over the rice. Shake open the very damp handy towel and place it over the top of the rice. Re-heat rice in microwave oven (on re-heat 'rice' or for 1-2 minutes. That's it!: perfectly re-heated/re-steamed rice!

carlosjackal, Nov 24, 7:54am
I was recently told about a very novel way of reheating rice: Take a long piece of handy towel and saturate it in water. Squeeze the excess water from the hany towel over the rice. Shake open the very damp handy towel and place it over the top of the rice. Re-heat rice in microwave oven (on re-heat 'rice' or for 1-2 minutes on HIGH power. That's it!: perfectly re-heated/re-steamed rice! Also done this way, there is no risk of further cooking it (or over-cooking it).

n00dle, Nov 24, 10:58pm
Rice only lasts a few days in the fridge before it becomes potentially unsafe to eat. Freezing it would be a better option if you're wanting it to last a few months. Just make sure you re-heat to hot (rather than warm).

davidt4, Nov 24, 11:08pm
The toxins produced by bacteria in cooked rice (Bacillus cereus) are not destroyed by heat, and that is why it is important not to keep cooked rice more than a day or so.

uli, Nov 24, 11:45pm
I have kept cooked rice with refrigeration for over a week and never ever had food poisoning. Maybe its my rugged good health! But then no-one I ever cooked for got ill either.

Maybe it is because I usually put it straight into fridge when cooked! A bit of research seems to indicate that boiled or fried rice must not be stored under warm conditions especially in the range 15-50° C - which it would on any Chinese type banquet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130471/ The optimum temperature for growth in boiled rice was between 30° and 37° C. and growth also occurred during storage at 15° and 43° C. Since my fridge is set at 4 degrees C it seems to be alright to keep rice for a week in there!No it seems not:

".Refrigeration won't kill the bacteria but it will slow down its growth – any uneaten rice should be thrown out after three days in the fridge."

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/storie
s/2009/01/27/2475255.htm

Now I am wondering about sushi .

hestia, Nov 25, 12:00am
Sushi rice has vinegar in it.

uli, Nov 25, 3:48am
and sugar!

mike16, Nov 25, 5:38am
Thanks for the answers , much appreciated ! I'll take up on these. KInd wishes to all ! Mike