Can I just add gluten free flour to my normal cake

paghan, Nov 23, 9:59pm
recipe or do I need to other ingredients, anyone had experience doing this! I need to make a gluten free cake for work and just dont want to waste ingredients experimenting. Thanks for your help :)

nanasee1, Nov 23, 10:10pm
I have done a straight substitution of gluten free flour for standard flour successfully in many recipes. Please be sure your baking powder & icing sugar are also gluten free. The magical orange cake & carrot cake in the whizz are regular recipes I use & always popular. Use the search function on the left to find those recipes.

ace441, Nov 24, 12:31am
That is what I do with my muffin, pastry, cake and savouries recipes paghan - I use the Orgran All-Purpose Flour and have never had a problem.

fishnwally, Nov 24, 4:32am
I use bakels baking mix in all my baking, never had a problem with it

mbos, Nov 24, 5:35am
I use Organs plain flour, swap amount for amount.If you're not used to doing gf, rather than faffing around, you could always get a cake mix and do that - they turn out a treat, especially the macro foods chocolate mud cake.

gaspodetwd, Nov 24, 5:51am
Add an extra egg and cook at a lower temp for longer. Freeze if you aren't eating on the same day. GF stuff does not stay fresh very long. Or you can avoid the problem and swap the flour for nut flour which is always gorgeous. Orange almond cake is always amazing. So is hazelnut chocolate.

themillers1, Nov 24, 5:55am
So if you swap normal gluten free flour for nut flour it will stay fresher for longer!

earthangel4, Dec 7, 6:59pm
They look so nice,a job will done,thanks for coming in and letting us know.

unicstudent, Dec 7, 8:56pm
Oh my gosh - with a cake that looks this good, does it really matter what it tastes like! Haha! This is amazing! I find Organs or Bakels are always good - they can usually just be straight swapped - especially Bakels as they include a couple of other ingredients to help balance the quality (eg xuam gum) to make it more like quality of regular flour. I hope the party was fun and the children appreciated the cake!

hesian, Dec 8, 8:09pm
The cake you made is wonderfully decorated and I am only adding my bit for possible future use
I was told by a good cook to double the amount of baking powder when substituting conventional ingredients for g/f/. It doesnt seem to make it bitter.I use Bin Inn gluten free baking powder and usually their gluten free flour mix.