Rotten eggs

mimi1, Nov 22, 10:50pm
I always "test" my eggs before using by putting in a cup of water. The eggs today all sank so thought "great". After I had beaten them and added them to my Christmas cake mix (and put the cake in the oven) I was aware of a bit of an odour. Sniffed the bowl I had beaten the eggs in and there is definitely a slight whiff of "rotten egg smell". Question is will cooking them in a cake kill any "rottenness" or will I be poisoning everyone who eats this cake!

kirmag, Nov 22, 11:01pm
I don't know about the poisoning but wouldn't it taste fowl (hehe see what I did there). but yeh the taste would be through the cake. yucky.

elliehen, Nov 22, 11:10pm
I test mine by breaking them individually into a glass.If the yolks go splat and spread out, they're not rotten, but too old for my liking.

davidt4, Nov 22, 11:36pm
What a shame.I think you will have to biff the cake, as any bad smell will grow with storage.

griffo4, Nov 23, 12:16am
Cut and taste to see before biffing and you might have to eat now if it tastes alright
Please let us know how you get on

mimi1, Nov 23, 2:34am
decided to biff the cake - son came home from school and sniffed the egg shell for me from that egg (he has better nose than me) and nearly threw up - so must have been bad.

winnie15, Nov 23, 6:09am
I had the same thing happen to me mimi . but i tried the cake and ended up in the loo alllllll night!i biffed it too

mimi1, Nov 23, 8:41am
poor you.

lx4000, Nov 23, 8:12pm
fresh eggs lie on their side when fresh, the older they get, the more they stand up on their end. If they float, they are no good. I never use eggs that are nearly standing on their ends. . . . Just wondering if they can do this in a glass!

winnie15, Nov 24, 6:15am
good point lx4000 , thanks for that

rainrain1, Nov 24, 7:06am
break them into a cup before you use them if they are doubtful, i wouldn't trust the float business at all.Use your eyes and/or your nose

nik12, Nov 24, 7:39am
I found a hen's nest in the garden with over 30 eggs! Figured I couldn't waste all of them.
Did the float test and threw out anything that floated even slightly.
BUT I found that obviously the more rotten they get they start to sink again! I started to break each one as I used it into a cup by the sink with the water running, 'coz when you got a yuk one, it was truely yuk!Green, stinky and disgusting.
So I really think, if you floated the eggs. but didn't notice them being yuck when you cracked them, they should be fine in a cake.Unless you didn't look at them and have no smell lol.