Shelling boiled eggs

Page 1 / 2
the-lada-dude, Nov 21, 9:30pm
luckily we're not in the middle east, but I'm sure there are some do's and don'ts when getting the shell off boiled eggs

dezzie, Nov 21, 9:43pm
Do.use older eggs, the really fresh ones are harder to peel, I always boil them, tip out the water, bash them round shaking the pot side to side a bit (not too roughly just to crack the shell) then put under the cold tap to cool down, sometimes if they are really tough to get off, you can hold them under the tap while peeling and let the water sort of ease them off.

terachaos, Nov 21, 10:27pm
A hint I read somewhere was to add a tsp of baking soda to the pan of water. Not sure if it works, haven't tried it yet.

the-lada-dude, Nov 21, 11:53pm
mmmmok, will try.
any other hints

whitehead., Nov 22, 3:08am
i cut them in half shell and all with a meat cleaver and slide a spoon under the shell i also find shelling them under water works well

woopooz, Nov 22, 3:22am
From Boiling water - then run cold water
on them, the secret is - to crack the egg
all over works for me.

kerijuice, Nov 22, 3:27am
crack the blunt end of the egg run cold water over it,.and start from there,.usually works.or else,.
http://www.videojug.com/film/fastest-way-to-peel-a-boiled-egg

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:30am
It worked for me last night and also meant there wasn't that grey "line" between yolk and white or that could just be because I have free range eggs.I usually tap mine gently on the bench just enough to crack the shell, roll them around under my hand a bit and then they peel off quite easily.I do give them a quick rinse under a running tap though just to be sure I've got every little bit off - nothing worse than crunchy hard boiled eggs.

uli, Nov 22, 4:36am
The grey to green line is formed in older eggs only.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:43am
Ooohhh look my stalker's here!

kay141, Nov 22, 4:44am
Join the club. And watch for everything you say to be disagreed with. I wish I could ignore certain posts. I try, I really do but it is so hard.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:51am
I know what you mean - as soon as I comment in a thread there's a counter-argument - what a sad little life he/she must have if this is the only pleasure they get .The comments, 9 times out of 10, aren't even relevant!

kay141, Nov 22, 4:55am
So true.As in the hams thread, but I have noticed I don't get stalked in all threads, certainly not in craft. Maybe not an "expert" in that field.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:57am
Shush - don't mention it or she/he will be in like Flynn - you'd better delete that post or you won't be safe anywhere!

kay141, Nov 22, 4:59am
I'll risk it.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 5:01am
It was blissful when she/he banned herself wasn't it!

samanya, Nov 22, 5:17am
Overcooking does it.

kay141, Nov 22, 6:34am
It was. Posters came on who seldom did before and now don't post. So much friendlier.

racheee, Nov 22, 6:42am
Is vinegar meant to be good for the shell removal!

kay141, Nov 22, 6:48am
I've never heard of vinegar for shelling boiled eggs. Is it put in the water when boiling! I use a method I saw on Nigella but do sometimes have hard-to-shell eggs. I always thought they were just too fresh.

the-lada-dude, Nov 22, 9:28pm
whats nigellas method KAY141 !

pickles7, Nov 22, 10:17pm
You can get a greenish line if you over cook them as well.
Fresh eggs can be difficult to shell no matter what you do. Eggs kept in the fridge can also be as difficult.

kay141, Nov 23, 1:11am
Room temperature eggs, covered with cold water, bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave in the pot for 8 mins. Plunge into cold water and peel when cold. I do 7 mins in the pot and the yolks are nicely cooked. I only have trouble peeling them when I have just bought them and know they are too fresh. If you try it, experiment with the standing time to get the consistency you like.

245sam, Nov 23, 1:19am
That's the method I use too kay141 although I usually leave in the covered saucepan for 10 minutes.Many years ago in the "Listener" Lois Daish had this method of cooking (not hard-boiling) eggs and her advice also included the option of using eggs from the refrigerator, in which case she advised boiling the eggs for 1 minute only, then removing the saucepan from the heat and leaving them to stand for 10 minutes.:-))

wheelz, Nov 23, 2:18am
Nope. It's from either over cooking or not cooling the egg quick enough in icy cold or cold running water once cooked.