10g softened butter
1/3 cup golden syrup
250g softened butter, extra
250g sugar
250g self-raising flour
Pinch salt
5 eggs

METHOD

Grease 1. 5 litre pudding bowl liberally with butter.

Pour golden syrup into base of prepared pudding basin.

Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy and well combined.

Add flour, salt and eggs. Beat until well combined. Spoon cake mixture on top of golden syrup; smooth out with back of the spatula. Cover pudding with a disc of baking paper.

Cover dish with a pleated layer of baking paper and foil, baking paper side-down. (The pleat allows the pudding to expand during cooking). Tie pleated lid tightly around rim of bowl using kitchen string.

Place in a large steamer or saucepan with a trivet in the base. Pour boiling water into saucepan to come half way up sides of pudding bowl. Cover tightly and steam 2 hours. Pudding can successfully be steamed for at least half and hour longer if you find you do not want to eat it at the pre-designated time.

farrar30, Feb 6, 6:13am
Your the best cooksessentials, thank-you

farrar30, Feb 6, 6:16am
Umm cooks is that meant to be 100g or is it 10g? ?

cookessentials, Feb 6, 7:27am
10 grams-for greasing the bowl - you will see the other 250g for the pudding lower down in the recipe.

margyr, Feb 6, 8:16am
google - golden syrup dumplings, used to be a big fan of the steamed pud, but now just make the dumplings, from whoa to go it only takes 15 minutes. a real hit with everyone i have made it for.

farrar30, Feb 8, 7:16am
Thanks cookessentials, I realised after I posted what you meant was just having a mental pause. I'll try your recipe next margyr.

willman, Feb 8, 7:56am
Golden Syrup Pudding:Edmonds Cookbook.

1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tspn Baking Powder, 1 Tblspn soft butter, Milk to mix.

Sift flour and B P into a bowl you are going to steam in. Mix butter in with fingers . Mix in enough milk to make a soft dough like scones.

In another bowl add 1 Tblspn goldensyrup, 2 Tblspns sugar and add 1 cup of boiling water, mix to disolve sugar and golden syrup. Pour over the scone mixture.

Put bowl into a pan with boiling water 1/4 way up pudding basin and simmer for 3/4 hour. No need to cover basin with a lid. But don't forget to put pot lid on.

tapuwer, Feb 8, 9:06am
125g butter225g flour
50g sugar3 tsp ginger
2 Tbls golden syrup1 tsp baking soda
1 egg (beaten)150ml Hotmilk

Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup together.
Add beaten egg, mix well.
Dissolvebaking soda in hot milk.
Add alternatively with dry ingredients.
Put into greased steam pudding bowl and steam for 2 hours.

guest, Oct 13, 2:50am
does anyone have the recipe for golden syrup pudding where the syrup is put on the cake mixture and rolled up inside the pudding them steamed my grandchildren are comeing for a holiday and all they want me to do is make the golden syrup pudding like i did 2o years ago please can any one help