Christmas Dinner ideas .

xtownie, Nov 21, 12:50am
Our family do the pot luck style Christmas Dinner where we all bring a desert and a main. Of course we always try to make it a bit "special" some family members have their "signature Chrismas Day dish" but I like to vairy what I do each year.
Any ideas greatfully accepted please. My desert will be a white choc and raspberry tiramisu.
There are 18 of us for Christams Lunch.

rainrain1, Nov 21, 1:30am
a cold cooked mutton ham

xtownie, Nov 21, 1:42am
Lol good idea rainrain1 but mother in Law always does the ham

fifie, Nov 21, 1:59am
Impressive looking dessert,White Chocolate Meringue Roll with Spiced Berry Sauce.
http://www.nzhouseandgarden.co.nz/Articles/Allthetrimmings.asp#meringue-roll
Few other xmas recipes in there you might like also.

xtownie, Nov 21, 2:01am
lol I just googled mutton ham, not what I thought it was, does sounds nice :)

sarahb5, Nov 21, 2:25am
Whole poached salmon - yum yum yum - we are considering this for our own Christmas dinner this year

sossie1, Nov 21, 2:27am
i Like a basic flat bread, with a topping of Annabel Langheim caramelised onions, with fresh herbs from the garden

rainrain1, Nov 21, 3:11am
what did you think it was xtownie!Just order one from your local butcher, he will cure it and cook it for you

xtownie, Nov 21, 3:22am
Lol I wasn't sure, I just saw the word Ham, and thought mutton when it comes to sheep is older sheep so maybe same when it comes to ham.
We have a farm so all our meet is home killed beef, lamb, and pork

rainrain1, Nov 21, 3:37am
So cut costs and supply your own leg of lamb, hogget or mutton, for your butcher to cook and cure.

nanasee1, Nov 21, 3:40am
Anyone know where mutton ham is available in the Wellington area! We love mutton ham & haven't had one for some years since our butcher closed down.

shellz213, Nov 21, 3:44am
Oohh I would love your recipe for the tiramisu please.I was going to try out a new recipe I had found for strawberry and limoncello tiramisu but am thinking yours sounds very delish :)

rainrain1, Nov 21, 4:00am
We are having a wild pork ham this year, I am looking forward to tasting that, I like to try different desserts each xmas also, but they must be easy to prepare

xtownie, Nov 21, 7:24am
I haven't tried making the Tiramisu yet but have had the recipe for ages I'm test driving it this weekend. I will post recipe on here tomorrow and update results after trying it

shellz213, Nov 25, 6:10am
Just bumping this thread back up to the top for xtownie to see how your tiramisu turned out.

bev00, Dec 8, 10:39am
Bacon Wrapped jersey Bennies with Blue Cheese dip

450g Jersey Bennies ( or small gourmet potatoes)
12 rasher bacon
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
DIP
100g blue vein cheese, crumbled
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
250g creme fraiche
2 Tbsp milk

Steam the potatoes until just tender or boil in water for 5-6 mins until tender.
Drain and refresh under cold water to stop additional cooking.
When cool enough to handle, wrap the bacon strips around the potatoes.
You can stretch the bacon to fit more snugly around the potato by using the back of a knife. When necessary, cut the bacon strips in half.
Place on a baking tray. Mix together th oil,garlic,thyme and parsley and drizzle over the potatoes. Bake for 15-20 mins in a 200c fan oven intil golden.

DIP
Mix the cheese,spring onions,creme fraiche, and milk, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the potatoes for dipping.

willyow, Dec 8, 7:46pm
Buy a ready made pavlova-split a vanilla bean two or three days before Xmas, put the seeds in abottle of supermarket cream with ateaspoon of sugar - leave in the fridge - shake it each day - the flavour just gets better and better -beat iton the day andyou'll have some fabulous vanilla bean creamfor your pavlova - add some strawberries/golden kiwifruit- easy anda real treat! We do this every year.

yelreveb, Dec 10, 7:56am
I would like to know how to make the tiramisu too please!

sarahb5, Dec 10, 9:06am
Probably not the most traditional recipe there is but I use the one on the Countdown website - it tastes great (I use Kahlua) and it's easy which is a bonus.I make it in my Tupperware gel ring - it is best made the day before so all the flavours develop and soak together.You could adapt this recipe to use raspberries between the layers as well as the sponge fingers but not sure about the white chocolate.

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Recipe/590!name=tiramisu

sarahb5, Dec 10, 9:09am