Fresh pork buns wellington?

kiwibubbles, Nov 20, 2:17am
where are some places you can get fresh pork buns to steam at home! Perhaps in Wgtn CBD or even Porirua.
Posted this in general but didn't get many replies - thought people here may have a better idea.

nanasee1, Nov 20, 3:03am
Porirua Saturday vegetable market have them - not sure but they could also be available at the Sunday market in Wellington

kiwibubbles, Nov 20, 3:39am
oh they sell them fresh in Porirua! i did think of the Porirua market but thought they might only be selling them already cooked

valentino, Nov 20, 4:53am
You can get Frozen packs at any Asian Supermarket-Store.

Large ones and small ones plus dumplings and heaps of others.

Just like buying frozen veges, foods etc at a normal supermarket and other stores.

Great to get those larger Bamboo Steamers as well.
Only about 15 minutes in the steamers which can be stack one on top of another.

Cheers

shop-a-holic, Nov 20, 10:09am
Mr Yans have them frozen.but if you want them fresh ring Grand Century in Tory Street and order a takeout. Everything on their menu is available for pick up, and you can ask for them uncooked.

rednicnz, Nov 22, 7:12am
The chinese supermarket across the road from Pak'n'Save in Kilbirnie
The chinese supermarket in Donald McLean (I think) street in Newtown
and I'm pretty sure Davis Trading in Petone will do them too.
And there's another chinese supermarket in Hopper St off Webb St more or less in town.

They come in 4 packs in the freezer.

kay141, Nov 22, 7:13am
They have fresh ones at the Riverbank Market in Lower Hutt too.

semi1, Nov 22, 7:24am
Where do you buy the bun dough only.I want to create my own filling but anyone know where I can buy just the dough only!

skye7, Dec 16, 2:29am
Make the dough
1 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1/4 cup (30g) plain flour
1/4 cup warm water
extra 1/2 cup warm water
extra 1 1/2 cups (190g) plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
extra 2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation method
Prep: 20 minutes| Cook: 30 minutes | Extra time: 3 hours, rising
1. Mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar,1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup warm water. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
2. Mix in the remaining warm water, flour, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and vegetable oil. Knead until dough surface is smooth and elastic. Roll over in a greased bowl, and let stand until triple in size, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Punch down dough and spread out on a floured board. Sprinkle baking powder evenly on surface, and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 2 parts and place the piece you are not working with in a covered bowl. Divide each half into 12 parts. Shape each part into a ball with smooth surface up. Put each ball on small greaseproof paper squares. Let stand covered until double, about 30 minutes.
4. Bring water to a boil in wok, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling. Place steam plate on a small wire rack in the middle of the wok. Transfer as many buns, still on greaseproof paper, as will comfortably fit onto steam-plate, leaving 2 to 5cm between the buns. At least 5cm space should be left between steam-plate and the wok. Cover wok with lid. Steam buns over boiling water for 15 minutes. Ensure that water does not come in contact with the buns.
5. REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto the bun surface and produce yellowish "blisters". Continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.