Doubling a pavlova recipe -

maximus44, Nov 19, 6:45pm
Just wondering if anyone has tried doubling their recipe and does it work!
Thanks.

pickles7, Nov 19, 7:11pm
My mixer would not handle 12 egg whites
I would make two recipes up and put them together, I would think that would cover a whole baking tray. My recipe is all mixed in together so the whisk and bowl could be re-used without washing.

pavlova.large

Beat until thick and smooth .approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water.,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

valentino, Nov 19, 9:31pm
Have done one and a half times the recipe, just came up to within an inch of the top of a large glass mixing bowl and was beaten for about 22 to 25 minutes minimum, plus the original recipe noted 2 minutes at 200C before turning down but in this case did not quite 4 minutes. Also time in the oven was an extra 15 minutes then turned of the oven but kept in the oven to cool a further 40 minutes, it worked a treat.

Oh, because of such the size it is, be very careful when moving the Pavlova about, can be very suspect to sudden movements like cracking.

maximus44, Nov 20, 5:36am
Thank you for your comments.

redhead96, Nov 20, 5:39am
x2
I double the Edmonds recipe and it comes out fine.

pickles7, Nov 20, 6:51am
It comes down to how many egg whites and sugar your mixer will handle.
how many egg whites you use now and what sort of mixer you have. so many things to sort out.
If your recipe has 3 egg whites , and you have a Kenwood mixer, double it.

valentino, Nov 20, 7:21am
Yes, very true.

My Sunbeam large bowl takes at least 9 size 7 egg whites, could possibly do an extra with a push, when fully mixed and ready to go into oven stage.

jhan, Dec 16, 3:40am
Trying out pickles 7's pav now. Mine are usually failures.

kateley, Dec 16, 3:45am
pickles7's recipe looks like its already a double version of mine.Mine has 3 egg whites and usually feeds about 12 of us (no-one needs a huge portion after Christmas lunch!)
I think I would make 2 rather than try to double it if there were going to be more people. (or get someone else to also make one as we all share the meal prep)

clsnz, Dec 16, 7:01am
The pavlova I make for Christmas is usually between 12-16 egg whites (some eggs are from bantam chickens).But I just double the rest of the ingredients from the edmonds recipe.I use are wide shallower bowl rather than the one that came with my mixer.I also cook it for about 15-20 minutes longer at a slightly lower tempearture.

jhan, Dec 16, 8:07am
Pickles7's recipe looks great to me. It's still sitting in a cooling oven, of course the proof is in the pudding. I don't like pav myself, I'm a lemon meringue person, but the other diners will let me know.