Russian Fudge is soft.

accroul, Nov 17, 6:40am
I'm supposed to be bagging russian fudge for a cakestall tomorrow, but I've just cut up the first batch & it's soft. Softer than I expected. Still fudgy in texture as opposed to caramel though. Is this what russian fudge is supposed to be like!
Should I pop them in the fridge & postpone bagging until tomorrow morning or.! I don't particularly want the cellophane bags to condensate!

duckmoon, Nov 17, 6:56am
It will be soft if you didn't boil to the soft ball stage (112 degrees) or you didn't beat long enough

Refrigerating won't hard it.

Dont bag if it is still warm.

accroul, Nov 17, 7:00am
iI was boiled until nearly 120 degrees!

duckmoon, Nov 17, 7:51am
I have two candy thermometres. And there is a ten degree temp different.

However, I suspect that you didn't beat it long enough.

nik12, Nov 17, 8:38am
How soft! And is it still warm to the touch! We made some tonight and when I cut it the middle bits were still quite soft, but delicous! And they went into the container fine. I've left the lid off for them to cook totally.

nik12, Nov 17, 8:38am
How soft! And is it still warm to the touch! We made some tonight and when I cut it the middle bits were still quite soft, but delicous! And they went into the container fine. I've left the lid off for them to cool totally.

accroul, Nov 18, 1:16am
Batches were made Thursday & Friday so were completely cold last night when I went to cut them, so you (duckmoon) could be right that I didn't beat long enough. I popped them in the fridge last night & they did firm up a little. We sold all 19 bags within 20 minutes, with 2 repeat purchases to I must have done something right afterall!

cappucino1, Nov 18, 2:54am
If you ever encounter same problem, fudge can be re boiled and or beaten a second time if it doensn't turn out right first time round- time consuming yes, but can be worth it if it means saving valuable ingredients- though as you said, the ingredients were obviously appreciated this time regardless of whether it was soft!

duckmoon, Nov 18, 6:42am
If you make fudge regularly, could I suggest the you (any one not just accrou) over beat a batch of fudge, while carefully noting the stages which the fudge goes through while beating occurs. Seeing it over beaten, will let you know (with good observation) the moment before you need to stop.

Tips of things to look for: when you start beating (I always use a hand electric beater) the ripples made by the beater will fall immediately . After a while, the ripples will hold then drop. When you have just over beaten, the ripples will form and hold.( only if you move really fast will you get it into the pan). If you completely over beat, then it will be a cow pat inside the pan)

Anyway, this has been my observation (the joy of the year i made 70 batches of fudge for the gala) hope it helps some one else.

duckmoon, Nov 18, 6:43am
Well done to accrou for selling out in 20 minutes

landylass, Nov 18, 10:26am
the fudge you buy in sweet shops is always soft.well done.

lazkaz, Nov 19, 6:57am
I would have unfortunately eaten the soft fudge and made another batch yummie.A bad batch of soft runny fudge had to be used as a topping.I love fudge, and don't mind the odd batch of botched fudge.

duckmoon, Nov 19, 8:38am
There is soft and too soft.

Just like there is hard and too hard.

accroul, Nov 19, 6:43pm
My batches were firm enough to hold their shape, but in handling them, they felt squidgy.