Boiling eggs?

arabella33, Nov 17, 6:21am
Can anyone tell me what Annabel Langbein said to add to the water to make it easy to shell boiled eggs!She mentioned it on her show on Saturday 10 November I think.Thanks.

cappucino1, Nov 17, 8:23am
Wasn't on 10 November- have just flicked through it to try and find out for you but it wasn't on that one.

Could it have been baking soda- not sure if that was what Annabel used but I do know that it is often used for that purpose.

carlosjackal, Nov 17, 8:24am
Add salt to the water - that's it!

uli, Nov 17, 8:29am
Cold water after cooking them.

arabella33, Nov 17, 10:35pm
I had a feeling it might have been baking soda Cappucino1 so I will try that next time.Thanks to those who have replied, I think salt works too carlosjackal.Will try that too.cheers.

gilligee, Nov 17, 10:39pm
I thought it had more to do with the age of the eggs.

davidt4, Nov 17, 10:45pm
The older the eggs are the easier they are to peel.

The best way I know is to to drain the eggs as soon as they are cooked, cover with cold water, immediately tap all over to crack the shell.Peel straight away.Store in cold water if you are not using immediately.

ferrit47, Nov 19, 1:16am
The way I do it isTip the boiling water out & run cold water over them for alittle while & then peel them under the water as the water gets between egg & shell & it peels easy.

scout_6001, Nov 19, 3:05am
I add a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda when boiling eggs, it makes them easy to peel and has no taste.

porka1, Nov 19, 5:41am
Make sure they are at least 3 days old and eggs from young hens also tend to be hard to peel and they are usually the smaller size 5 eggs but they make excellent poachers.

illusion_, Nov 20, 4:30am
salt in the water simply raises the temperature the water will boil at

woopooz, Nov 20, 4:41am
I boil eggs - run water on them & tap tap tap the egg all around, make sure all the egg shell is broken - easy.
Have done this with dozens & dozens of trays of eggs - was in Management at Woodend Motor Inn. The girls taught me that.