Light Banana Cake

diamond-fan, Nov 15, 3:41am
No butter, oil or milk.I bought a recipe book by Joanne Clarke at a gala day recently & I wanted to share this lovely recipe. I have made it a number of times and it is moist and delicious.

1 cup high grade flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 whole egg
2/3 cup soft brown sugar
2 - 3 large bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 190 C and prepare a 20-22cm cake or loaf tin by lining with baking paper.
Sift the flour, baking soda & salt onto a plate and set aside (this may seem unnecessary but it does help)
In a bowl place the whole egg & brown sugar, mix for around 2 mins with an electric beater on high, it will have a gooey, fluffy texture. Beat in the bananas and essence until just combined.
In another clean bowl with clean beaters, whisk the egg whites until they are thick and stand in peaks, as you would for meringues. Fold this carefully into banana and egg mixture, alternating with flour in 3 or 4 batches.Pour into prepared tin. Bake for about 20 minutes then test with a skewer. Leave to cool for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire wrack.

*There is a note with the recipe that says you can use 2 really ripe bananas for flavour& 1 not so ripe for texture. I have used 2 medium ripe bananas each time I made it with great results. I use the leftover yolks to make the 'Golden Cake' from this MB, or lemon honey.