Christmas Cake question.

wishbone66, Nov 13, 7:41am
my recipe calls for 150mls brandy or rum, but I can't stand the smell of either when mixing it all up!What other liquor could I use and where would I purchase a small bottle of it!

nfh1, Nov 13, 7:48am
You could use a liqueur such as Cointreau or something non alcoholic, perhaps fruit juice.

Edited to add - You can get small bottles at most Liquor Stores.

gardie, Nov 13, 7:48am
I put whatever I have in the cupboard into mine.Bottle shops generally sell smaller bottles of some liquors.You could try contreau for an orange flavour, kahlua for a richness (no noticeable particular flavour), Feijoa vodka for a wonderful smell and fruitiness.I've tried all three (and more) over the years.Cherry brandy is very nice too - a bottle will last you a few years - also a nice Port.The only thing I stay away from is rum - can't stand the smell.Anyone would think I was a old soak!Just been baking christmas cakes for a few years and too stingy to go buy new stuff - I make do with whatever is left.(Haven't done whisky either - doesn't appeal).

wishbone66, Nov 13, 7:50am
thanks nfh1, but doesn't the liquor/spirits have something to do with preserving the cake for a length of time!

wishbone66, Nov 13, 7:53am
thanks gardie - I have never been into a bottle store so that will be an education for me!Or would the supermarket sell Cherry Brandy or Kahlua!

nfh1, Nov 13, 7:54am
I don't think the alcohol does anything to preserve the cake - I think it just adds to the flavour, but I could be wrong!Are you planning to keep it a long time!

nfh1, Nov 13, 7:56am
I don't think so - think the supermarkets only sell wine and beer, lower strength items.

wishbone66, Nov 13, 7:56am
not really planning to keep it long as it will get eaten fairly quickly as so yummy but just thought for future reference I'd ask.

nfh1, Nov 13, 7:59am
Mine never last long, always mean to save some, but it never happens.

nauru, Nov 13, 8:03am
I bought my Cherry Brandy at The Mill last Christmas which is rather nice and not expensive.I sometimes do a mixture of what ever we have in the cupboard.

I bought my Cherry Brandy at The Mill last Christmas which is rather nice and not expensive.I sometimes do a mixture of what ever we have in the cupboard to soak the fruit for my Christmas cakes.

I bought my Cherry Brandy at The Mill last Christmas which is rather nice and not expensive, I think it was called Shotover.It has about the same alcohol content as wine, hence the price. I sometimes do a mixture of what ever we have in the cupboard to soak the fruit for my Christmas cakes.

wishbone66, Nov 13, 8:07am
cheers nauru, I have made a note to decide between Cherry Brandy and Kahlua but Cherry Brandy does sound rather nice. So long as it smells nice too when mixing the ingredients.

nauru, Nov 13, 8:14am
They also sell other flavour liqueurs in that range too.

rainrain1, Nov 13, 7:53pm
lol really!Peg on your nose and shove it in, it's worth it

misskittydragon, Nov 13, 9:23pm
Thank you nauru for your suggestions. I was wondering what to put in my fruit cake this year that would be different. Have rang our liqueur store and they have the Shotover cherry brandy so I will pick it up next week. The lady also suggested trying Blue Curacao in one of my fruit cakes.

cgvl, Nov 13, 11:31pm
I use Whisky in my fruit cakes. It adds flavour and yes does help to preserve the cake in some way.
You can substitute it for fresh squeezed orange juice, if you don't like rum or brandy.

Still have a piece of my wedding cake which is now at least 6 years old and not gone mouldy. We just dont eat fruit cake much anymore.

dollmakernz, Nov 16, 10:12am
I use either sherry or brandy

gardie, Nov 16, 3:04pm
You are not alone!I went into one about 2 years ago to buy a bottle of cherry brandy!I had to ask at the counter as I had no idea where to even start looking.At least now there are bottle stores and you don't have to go to the pub!