Fresh Fish Lovers in Whangarei

targa2, Nov 10, 8:59am
Can now buy fresh fish direct off the boat at Tutukaka Anglers Club Weigh Station on Sunday mornings from 10 to 1pm. They also sell freshly smoked fish which is really yummy!

uli, Nov 10, 9:20am
Bought a whopping big tuna today from the Growers Market - 7kgs $43 :)
Cut up it will make 10 meals. Had the first one tonight!

uli, Nov 12, 3:20am
Seems no one else in Whangarei eats fish :)

dibble35, Nov 12, 5:14am
is that the saturday market Uli, I havnt been there for so long., flat mate/boarder came back with a decent sized bit of lemonfish/shark for $10, fed 3 of them plus leftovers. Must make an effort sometime soon to get there

uli, Nov 12, 7:57am
Got to be there by seven at the latest for any decent selection though. They have very nice mussels too.

beaker59, Nov 12, 2:46pm
A bit far north for me and anyway been catching allot of snapper lately got 9 on saturday from 2 to4Kg smoked a couple yesterday :)

dibble35, Nov 12, 6:23pm
I've been trying to catch fish but no snapper so far, just a small leather jacket and a barracuda. Dads boat is old and very slow so getting out of Whangarei harbour is a long trip. have been Waiting for the snapper to come into the harbour but now i'm so busy working no days off for fishing! Couple of weeks time when this busy patch is over i'm going to make sure i get out, leave really early so maybe we could even get to the Hen and chicks- 3 hr+ trip.Worth it though if we get some decent fishing. Last time we were out got 1 nibble no fish but saw 4 orca including 1 baby, was awesome!

beaker59, Nov 14, 1:11am
Getting out fishing is the hard bit but well worth it specially if you get to go with special people like your Dad :) Or in my case children and grandchildren. I have a slow boat too but big and comfortable so even on a long trip I can put her on self steering and cook a meal or lie back and read a book. Orcas are cool EH! I haven't seen many lately but if you do see some please remember to report them as the researchers like to keep track of the pods. 0800 SEE ORCA or check out http://www.orcaresearch.org/index.php/contact

dibble35, Nov 14, 5:59am
Must remember that number, my dad made a comment at the time that he should let the coastguards know and they could contact the orca people, it definatley made my day and I need to get some binoculars and a good camera on board as phone cameras are useless in that situation