Strathern Inn Restaurant, Elles Road, Invercargill

glendhu, Feb 7, 8:41am
Has anyone been to this restaurant? We are looking for somewhere to eat one night this week, adults and kids. Usually go to Lone Star but their prices are getting rather high now. Would appreciate any recommendations, thanks.

willow99, Feb 7, 8:44am
I've never heard anything bad from memory about the strathern.
But it's been a while since I lived down that way.

Went to the Buster Crab at Christmas. Had a massive feed at lunchtime and I think it was only about $17. Food was yum, but service was slower than expected. M

edit to add: while our service was slow I've thinkit might have been a one off as no one else who I know have been there mentioned the service

cinder5, Feb 7, 8:53am
I'm not sure about strathern inn but i can definately recommend cobb and co its a great family restaraunt with a wonderful play area! !

chrisynz, Feb 7, 9:06am
itslovely there. . but havent been since they got a new cook and changed the menu

bucjo, Feb 7, 9:40am
i went to cobb n co back in oct 08 and it was horrible.

darlingmole, Feb 7, 9:50am
flippin heck! I didn't even know Cobb'n'co existed anymore. If so - where are they please

cinder5, Feb 7, 11:11pm
We go at least once every 2 months and find it great my sister is a chef and very fussy and she enjoys going! ! . Ziffs in Otatara is wonderful to but dearer though not more than lone star and way better food! !

bigcoly, Feb 8, 3:29am
Agree with #5. Waited 2 1/2 hrs for a horrible meal that was dearer than speights ale house etc...

glendhu, Feb 8, 3:50am
Thanks for the replies. Looks as though we will try the Strathern Inn.

lythande1, Feb 8, 8:08am
The only one so far I've been to that's any good is Waxy O'Sheas.

bucjo, Feb 8, 8:14am
i love the billy of fries at waxys

cgvl, Feb 8, 8:24am
Cobb and co in Invers is great, good meals and you can get bar meals as well as restaurant. Went recently and wait wasn't very long at all.
Its on the main road towards Winton. On the corner of Dee and Avenal

owl32, Feb 8, 8:40am
It suxs. We went for a end of year work function and they managed to stuff up 4 of 7 couples meals. And the service was exceeding slow.

i like JAgz, Ziffs and the cabbage tree.

owl32, Feb 8, 8:42am
And I didn't like the strathern either from memory.

Want to go to the lonestar again, thoroughly ended it when I went about 3 yrs ago. . might have changed now though.

wasala, Aug 1, 5:09pm
I had lunch at Buster Crabbs last week and it was lovely. Couldn't fault it. The thing I've always found about the Strathern is that their meals are too big and you need a doggy bag. Not sure if that's still the case though!