Macwood: Hazlenut tart, slice and cake

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 12:44am
Hi macwood, here are the 3 recipes I said I'd post for you:
The Hazlenut Tart uses 3/4 cup golden syrup > I use 1/4 maple syrup and 1/2 golden syrup. The Strawberry Hazlenut cake comes from The Australian Women's Weekly.Best Ever SLIMMERS' Recipes. It serves 10 slices @ only 172 calories per slice, however, I add icing sugar to the Ricotta Cream so the calorie count for my slices would ofcourse be a lot more! Here goes:

HAZLENUT TART:

Pastry:
75g (3 oz) butter, chilled
1/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/8 tspn salt
1 tblspn sugar
1 egg

Hazlenut Filling:
50g (2 oz) butter
3/4 cup soft brown sugar - firmly packed
3 eggs
3/4 cup corn or golen syrup (I use Maple and golden Syrup)
1/2 cup lightly toasted hazlenuts
2 tblspn Hazlenut liqueur (Frangelico)
1/4 tspn salt

* Rub chopped, chilled butter into sifted flours, salt and sugar - or mix in afood processor until smooth.
* Add egg and gather up into a ball. If too dry add iced water - a few drops at a timeuntil the dough hold together.
* Wrap in waxed paper (or cling wrap) and refrigerate for ATLEAST 30 mins.
* To Make Pie Shell: press pastry into a circle about 2.5cm thick. Then roll out until about 4-5mm thick, turning pastry during rolling.
* Lightly grease and line an 18-20cm pie dish with the pastry. Trim edge.
* For best results, chill in fridge for a further 30 mins (or longer if possible) - this will prevent the pastry from shrinking.
* Prick the base and place a sheet of buttered foil over pasty and press gently into the sides.
* Bake 200'C for 5 minutes, peel off the foil and continue baking for 3 minutes. Cool slightly before adding the filling.

Lightly toast the hazlenuts in oven at 160'C (for approx. 10 mins)
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs - one at a time.
Add syrup, coarsley chopped hazlenuts, liqueur and salt. Mix well and pour into pie shell.
Bake for 35 minutes at 190'C until filling is firm.

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 12:59am
HAZLENUT CARAMEL SLICE:

200g butter, chopped
50g cocoa powder
400g firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten lightly
225g plain flour
200g dark chocolate, melted, cooled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Caramel filling:
180g unsalted butter, chopped
110g caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
180ml sweetened condensed milk
175g whole hazelnuts, toasted

Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160’C). Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan (or similar) and line the base and two sides with baking paper.
Combine the butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth. Add sugar, stir until dissolved.
Remove from heat, add vanilla, eggs and sifted flour; mix well. Spread mixture into prepared pan, bake in a moderately slow oven for 20 minutes; cool.
For the caramel filling, combine butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk in a medium saucepan; stir over a low heat until butter is melted. Increase the heat to medium and simmer, stirring, for about 13 minutes or until mixture is a dark caramel colour.
Remove from the heat and stir in the hazelnuts. Quickly spread the caramel filling evenly over the base, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
Combine the chocolate and oil in a small bowl then spread over the caramel filling. Refrigerate until set.

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 1:01am
STRAWBERRYHAZELNUTCAKE

4 eggs
¼ cup castor sugar (60g)
1/3 cup self-raising flour (50g)
1/3 cup ground hazelnuts (40g)

Strawberry Filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese (200g)
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
250g punnet strawberries
Blend or process ricotta cheese, jam and half the strawberries until smooth.

Ricotta Cream:
Blend or process all ingredients listed below until smooth:

2/3 cup ricotta cheese (125g)
1/3 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Grease and line a deep 20cm round cake pan – lightly grease paper.
Beat eggs and sugar in small bowl until thick and creamy.
Fold in sifted flour and hazelnuts.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in moderate oven (180’C) for about 30 minutes
Turn out onto wire rack to cool.
When cake is cold, cut in half horizontally.
Place one half of the cake on a serving plate and spread with the strawberry filling.
Top with other half of cake.
Spread ricotta cream over the top and sides of the cake.
Decorate with reserved strawberries and ground hazelnuts.
Refrigerate for several hours.

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 7:17am
Bumping for macwood

macwood2, Nov 8, 8:46am
Thank you very much.I am so going to make that Hazelnut Tart!I appreciate your effort.

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 9:06am
You're very welcome. I bought 2 large punnets of strawberries today for $5 so will be making the Strawberry Hazlenut Cake tomorrow.YUM!