Fruitcake: orange juice, fruit and not much else

chicken-legs, Nov 5, 7:51pm
I have had a look through the recipe threads but can't seem to find what I want.It is a fruitcake made from just soaking the fruit in orange juice and then adding some flour and perhaps spices and not much else.It is a heavy dense cake, not crumbly, and is very durable when travelling in lunchboxes.

sarahb5, Nov 5, 8:12pm
I have posted a recipe that sounds very similar - let me see if I can find it again .

sarahb5, Nov 5, 8:17pm
Fat Free Fruitcake

400g - 1000g mixed dried fruit
1 cup of black tea
1 cup of orange juice
2 cups of self raising flour

Soak the fruit in the tea and juice for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Add flour. Bake for 2 hours at 150c until golden brown.

(This recipe was given to me by a nutritionist who came to speak at our school's PTA meeting a few months ago - I haven't made it myself yet but it looked good when he made it)

chicken-legs, Nov 5, 8:26pm
Thank you sarah . that does sound like the recipe I am seeking.We had one of these fruitcakes on a 3 week horse trek, and it stayed moist and fresh and intact in our saddlebags/pack boxes.I was so impressed.

sarahb5, Nov 5, 9:03pm
That is impressive - I might give it a go at the weekend although I will need to find some better quality dried fruit to justify it I think

chicken-legs, Nov 5, 10:44pm
thank you 245sam, always the way . when you are looking for something, you can't find it, even though it is obvious to others, lol